Former lurker, I'd like to introduce myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryLee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
E. Texas
This forum has been such a great help to me. I'm not usually a big poster on message boards, but I'd like to introduce myself, and tell everyone thanks for all the great info I've already gleaned from this board.

3 Months ago I sold my business and am now a stay at home mom to the group listed in my sig line. I've always raised layers, RIRs, ect. but due to over zealous hawks and bald eagles, those are all gone (7 years and no problem, then in less than a month, they were all gone).

I'm starting over and have decided to raise pure breeds and maybe try to provide some show birds for the kids in my community that can't afford show animals. I will also keep a few layers for eggs for us, and the extras go to our local food bank.

My birds free range when outside the coup, but now they free range in a large fenced in area with a netted covering. Coons, skunks, opossums, coyotes and snakes, I have no problem disposing of if they threaten my flock, but I just can't bring myself to shoot those beautiful majestic hawks (which I think is illegal anyway), and of course would never shoot the eagles.

If anyone has any advice for a novice trying to learn about raising show birds, or any help in deterring hawks and eagles besides the netted covering. Please feel free to PM or email me.

Hope I posted this in the right place, and once again, thanks for all the great info.

Terry

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the board!

I have heard of people ranging their poultry flocks with goats and cattle and that usually helps stave off hawks and such. I don't know how well that works though.

I got some advice for you. Be leary of these BYC'ers. Some of them will enable you and make you buy more chicks or eggs. you will go from 5-100 in no time. Dont say I did not warn you.

BTW:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the warm welcome, it's much appreciated!

And yes, hypnofrogstevie, I've seen the enablers on this board ... lol When the expansion of my coup and pens is done, I'll be in trouble, I can already tell
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom