Foster mom

Toryhillc

Songster
Apr 19, 2021
Tory Hill Ontario Canada
So I have a choice to make. I am expecting 5 faverolles day old chicks in the next couple weeks.
I would like to have one of my mature girls act as a foster mom.
Right now 2 are broody. My 2 year old lul silkie who has went broody many times. We tried to let her raise babies last year and she did good on the eggs but then failed at looking after chicks. Another hen took over and she seemed to watch the foster mom train the babies. We called her the baby sitter.

I also have an 11 month old, was one of the babies from last year. She seems very broody but I'm worried she may be too young to stick with it.

Which do I choose or do I give one 2 babies and one 3 babies? I only have one nursery area so they would have to be together with the babies and each other.
The nursery is in the basement so I can keep an eye on them and make sure everything is fine and the babies are OK.
Once they get all their feathers and it warms up there is an additional chicken run with a coop that liks to the main coop so everyone can see each other but remain separate until they are big enough

Would love to hear any thoughts.

You're wise to understand that there's uncertainty inherent in this endeavor, hens being unpredictable and broodies being that as well as fickle.

I've never had luck giving new chicks directly to a broody to brood. But I've had three older unbroody hens go partially broody over the years after being in close proximity to new chicks for a week or so.

I don't know how it happens, but some hens get their hormones triggered when I brood chicks in my run where the entire flock is exposed to them. When it appears a hen is very focused on the new chicks, I will let her into the brooding pen with the babies and then carefully monitor what happens. Usually, the chicks will display intense curiosity for the hen, getting near her or even climbing on her. If she behaves benignly, not pecking at them, I relax a bit, but still keep an eye on the group.

If I see anything other can a gentle peck at the chicks, which usually just indicates "teaching" or even a form of bonding, I remove her from the chicks. If she settles down and does not react to them standing on her back, pecking softly at her face, and crawling under her for warmth, it's all good and I allow her to adopt and raise the chicks.

The last hen to do this was an eight-year old Welsummer who had never gone broody in her life. The chicks are now six months old and laying, but they still all associate with one another, dirt bathing and loafing together.

Here's a thread I made to document one of these hens adopting chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/we-know-broody-hens-how-about-a-nanny-hen.1407935/

You're wise to understand that there's uncertainty inherent in this endeavor, hens being unpredictable and broodies being that as well as fickle.

I've never had luck giving new chicks directly to a broody to brood. But I've had three older unbroody hens go partially broody over the years after being in close proximity to new chicks for a week or so.

I don't know how it happens, but some hens get their hormones triggered when I brood chicks in my run where the entire flock is exposed to them. When it appears a hen is very focused on the new chicks, I will let her into the brooding pen with the babies and then carefully monitor what happens. Usually, the chicks will display intense curiosity for the hen, getting near her or even climbing on her. If she behaves benignly, not pecking at them, I relax a bit, but still keep an eye on the group.

If I see anything other can a gentle peck at the chicks, which usually just indicates "teaching" or even a form of bonding, I remove her from the chicks. If she settles down and does not react to them standing on her back, pecking softly at her face, and crawling under her for warmth, it's all good and I allow her to adopt and raise the chicks.

The last hen to do this was an eight-year old Welsummer who had never gone broody in her life. The chicks are now six months old and laying, but they still all associate with one another, dirt bathing and loafing together.

Here's a thread I made to document one of these hens adopting chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/we-know-broody-hens-how-about-a-nanny-hen.1407935/
Thats great . Thanks for the info. I would love to have the with a momma but don't want to risk their safety

Well the whole foster mom thing did not work out. The baby Faverolles are doing well though and will soon be moving outside to their pen.
20220412_182126.jpg
20220412_182112.jpg
20220324_180538.jpg

So I have a choice to make. I am expecting 5 faverolles day old chicks in the next couple weeks.
I would like to have one of my mature girls act as a foster mom.
Right now 2 are broody. My 2 year old lul silkie who has went broody many times. We tried to let her raise babies last year and she did good on the eggs but then failed at looking after chicks. Another hen took over and she seemed to watch the foster mom train the babies. We called her the baby sitter.

I also have an 11 month old, was one of the babies from last year. She seems very broody but I'm worried she may be too young to stick with it.

Which do I choose or do I give one 2 babies and one 3 babies? I only have one nursery area so they would have to be together with the babies and each other.
The nursery is in the basement so I can keep an eye on them and make sure everything is fine and the babies are OK.
Once they get all their feathers and it warms up there is an additional chicken run with a coop that liks to the main coop so everyone can see each other but remain separate until they are big enough

Would love to hear any thoughts.
As it is now late May, I'm sure your chicks are being taken care of. Thought I'd share that my broody Coo Coo was just hatching out eggs and three wild turkey chicks wandered into our yard with no sign of a mama. They were the size of three day old chicks and I put them in the Coo Coo's nest. This was yesterday and all seems to be well. Only problem is the turkeys need more protein than the chickens so I'll have to figure that out.

As it is now late May, I'm sure your chicks are being taken care of. Thought I'd share that my broody Coo Coo was just hatching out eggs and three wild turkey chicks wandered into our yard with no sign of a mama. They were the size of three day old chicks and I put them in the Coo Coo's nest. This was yesterday and all seems to be well. Only problem is the turkeys need more protein than the chickens so I'll have to figure that out.
This is fascinating. I suggest you start a thread on this subject and document what happens with photos and commentary. I believe I won't be the only one to follow it.

I've never even posted here before. Not sure I know how to start a thread.
Go here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/raising-baby-chicks.11/ It's the main page of the baby chick forum. When you get there, look for the green tab that says, "post thread". Click on it and it will open a page for you to create your thread.

Think of a title that describes what you intend to discuss in your thread. Something such as "Broody adopts stray wild turkey babies." You could probably come up with something better.

Then move down to the narrative window and describe how it came about that your broody adopted these turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom