Found a cartridge casing in my duck's run area

Pics
For those wondering: I would honestly recommend going to a thrift store and picking up a used metal detector. Lots of people get them for treasure hunting & then never do anything with them and sell them. Otherwise get a cheap one with good ratings on Amazon. Most metal detectors work the same, unless you get a fancy pulse one, which are better (they can detect deeper, for one) but a lot pricier.

Also be aware that corrosion can affect detection! And that metal detectors only go so deep. It's always a good idea to do visual inspections of your run & do a quick scan frequently.
No luck at our local thrift store, but i have a search on craigslist.

One thing people don't think about is lead poisoning. If the ducks are exposed to lead their eggs will also be contamunated. Lead poisoning is especaly bad in children. You can buy test kits where you take samples of anything and send it off to be tested. You could test the soil in suspected areas, also specific egg tests will tell you if your poultry have been in contaminated areas.
That is my major concern here as i am selling the duck eggs to a supermarket. I don't want to be responsible for having lead-poisoned somebodies kids…

D00B96B5-36EC-4EEB-A0A8-C955E4BF6778.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom