Found a random rooster on the side of the road on my way to school with torn up feet and it was getting hot so I brought him home, what now?

Does he belong to the people down the road or not?

What are you going to do with him? Keep him? If so, do you have housing/pen for him? Food?
We do have a temporary place to keep him and food but we will not be keeping him. We do not have a flock anymore and it wouldn’t be right to keep just one. My sister and my dad aren’t exactly thrilled about having him because of how noisy he is(he crows around 3 times every 20-30 minute lol)
My mom is calling around to find someone who would be willing to take him and care for him. She knows some people from work who might be willing. We are debating what to do next about his spurs and I also noticed while we were cleaning his feet and treating his mites that at one point he broke one of his toes and it healed weirdly but it doesn’t seem to affect him. Overall he’s in pretty good shape thankfully.

Just keep working with him. He will get used to you handling him eventually. Give him lots of treats like grapes or sunflower seeds, poultry treats, bread crumbs, etc. Handling him should eventually make him submissive to you and he should get gentler.
He’s definitely not aggressive and is rather calm with people. We did find out he does hate dogs, we were cleaning him off in out backyard and our neighbor's mastiff barked and he freaked out a bit. He is friendly and I don’t think we’ll have much trouble finding him a home.

Last edited:
1656352608140.png
1656352618181.png

I think he might possibly be an old english

He's actually turning out to be a sweet rooster. I've heard some stories that there can be really mean roosters, my friend was chased by a couple when she was little. when I has applying stuff to kill the mites the first time, he did peck me a bit but the second time he didn't try and was really cooperative with it. It turns out he likes to be scratched at the base of his comb and be petted on his back. I think he's gonna make his next owner very happy :D

Last edited:
He's actually turning out to be a sweet rooster. I've heard some stories that there can be really mean roosters, my friend was chased by a couple when she was little. when I has applying stuff to kill the mites the first time, he did peck me a bit but the second time he didn't try and was really cooperative with it. It turns out he likes to be scratched at the base of his comb and be petted on his back. I think he's gonna make his next owner very happy :D
Has anyone been interested in taking him?

Has anyone been interested in taking him?
so far not really. we started asking around only a few days ago so it might take a bit tho. I've asked a couple of my friends that I know have chickens, including my friend who has chickens and knows a few people who own chickens. We haven't heard much from my mom's coworkers, tho.

so far not really. we started asking around only a few days ago so it might take a bit tho. I've asked a couple of my friends that I know have chickens, including my friend who has chickens and knows a few people who own chickens. We haven't heard much from my mom's coworkers, tho.
Hopefully you find him a home soon!

Hopefully you find him a home soon!
Hopefully! I'm not sure how long my dad will tolerate having a crowing rooster in his house lol. He isn't aggressive and he's in pretty good shape so I don't think we'll have too much trouble(fingers crossed!)
I am going to miss him when he goes, though. He's a sweet boy and he deserves a good home :)

Back
Top Bottom