Found A Small Egg In The Coop! and Fighting Fred

MTerry

Chirping
10 Years
May 4, 2012
Virginia
I just found a small, about 1 1/4 inch long brown egg in my guinea coop, laying in the floor. It wasn't there Monday when I cleaned the shavings out, so it is very recent, but I am amazed at the size.
I have two sets of guineas, seven that are 11 weeks old and three that are 19 weeks old. The egg was found on the side the older guineas live in. The older group are Fred, Ethel, and Lucy. Fred and Ethel are a definite couple, they are together everywhere, and Ethel is a quiet one. Lucy is very vocal, just a few minutes ago she was standing up on a large rock buck wheating to the world, which is what she does all day. I think she is jealous of Ethel.
My problem is with Fred, I am ready to let the younger group free range, (they have been in the coup 7 weeks). Every time I open the fence door to let them out, Fred comes around -goes in and starts chasing them and pulling feathers. Even if they go outside the fence he is chasing and plucking. I end up chasing him around with a stick, and herding the younger ones back in the fence. They are separated in the coup still, should I just wait until the younger ones are a little older, larger? They are mostly females, one I think is a male, and the possibility of one more male. I know 5 are females. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is the tiny egg I found in the floor of the coop.

These are the eggs I just found that Ethel laid!

I went out Saturday morning and let the younger ones out again, I stayed out with them for a good while, I distracted Fred with millet and threatened him several times with a stick. He is still chasing them ocassionally, but not pulling any feathers out. When I let the older ones out the first time, they stayed near the coop/fence and went in and out all day. The younger ones just stayed out all day and traveled further, going around to the front of the house and even in the woods some. They stick together so I was able to herd them back toward the coop in the evening. I still keep them separated from the older ones in the coop, so as long as I can get the younger ones in the fence first, I think I will be ok for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom