Found abandoned duckling. Its very afraid.

I've never seen a muscovy duck around here. Could be a roeun then? It's beak is round, with its tip going a bit downwards. It does have a very faded black line where his eyes are.
I already gave it a stuffed animal, I hadn't read anything about the mirror so I'll add it.

Still didn't really get an answer for my question, anyone know what I could do?

Last edited:
Can you call the rehab center and see if maybe a volunteer could meet you halfway to pick this little one up? Or if you let us know where you are, maybe someone can help.

I did not read all posts, so if this is a duplicate, sorry.

To make it less afraid? start by just spending time with it, not holding it but just quietly sitting beside it's brooder talking quietly, don't place it's brooder in the most heavily moving areas of your home, ducks startle easily. coming in from the top can cause panic since they are prey animals so always speak before you get to the lil one and very slowly reach in to feed or clean out it's brooder. All of this takes time and being alone doesn't help since they are flock animals but it can be done and hopefully it will calm down and realize over time you aren't going to eat it. Can you get a better pic of it's face so we can see the bill better?

images
Muscovy duckling

Last edited:
This little muscovy I have is also very afraid of people. I've tried everything to get it to calm down but have not had any luck. He just knows he is a duck and wants to be with the other ducks, too bad that they don't want to have anything to do with him.

A wildlife rehab center may not take him, especially if you tell them it is a muscovy. They are not native to the majority of the US. Where are you located?

Thanks for the advice, I've been doing those things since yesterday and it already seems to help a little :)
I'll get a better picture as soon as I get the chance.

To make it less afraid? start by just spending time with it, not holding it but just quietly sitting beside it's brooder talking quietly, don't place it's brooder in the most heavily moving areas of your home, ducks startle easily. coming in from the top can cause panic since they are prey animals so always speak before you get to the lil one and very slowly reach in to feed or clean out it's brooder. All of this takes time and being alone doesn't help since they are flock animals but it can be done and hopefully it will calm down and realize over time you aren't going to eat it. Can you get a better pic of it's face so we can see the bill better?

images
Muscovy duckling
Thanks for the advice, I've been doing those things since yesterday and it already seems to help a little :)
I'll get a better picture as soon as I get the chance.

This little muscovy I have is also very afraid of people. I've tried everything to get it to calm down but have not had any luck. He just knows he is a duck and wants to be with the other ducks, too bad that they don't want to have anything to do with him.

A wildlife rehab center may not take him, especially if you tell them it is a muscovy. They are not native to the majority of the US. Where are you located?

I'll check with the rehab center, it kind of saddens me to let him go though!

I live in atlantic Canada, if that helps :)

Muscovy ducks are native to central america, and I think ive heard they migrate in texas too. Yeah, unless a muscovy decided canada waz a good place to live, it is an abandoned duck from someone.
I dont know if this was asked yet, but are there farms near you that might raise ducks? Within 10 miles?

Also, it cant be roeun or mallard/mallard call because of the eye stripe and pointed bill, which leaves muscovy, but color pattern took me to mallard! What are your native duck species?

Whatever it is, im almost positive it was bred domestic becUse its a bit late for any bird to have babies still that young.

Back
Top Bottom