Found an injured duck with maggots, healed the injury, but now concerned about fever. Help!

montsebirds

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
Hello,
A few days ago neighbors found an injured Muscovy duck and brought her to me because I have been raising ducks and chickens in my backyard. However, I have never had a bird with such a terrible injury; the duck seemed to have been bitten by something around her tail area, and the cuts were all infested with thousands upon thousands of small maggots buried into her skin. The duck is a baby, probably only a month or two old (you know the awkward age where they have big bodies but super tiny wings and a combination of baby fluff and new feathers). Neighbors told me she had been laying outside in the same spot for over two days. By the time I got her, she was extremely weak; couldn’t walk, couldn’t eat or drink, and didn’t even have strength in her neck to hold her head up. I thought she was going to die because she was just limp in my hands. However, with help from posts on this website, we successfully got all the maggots out with salt baths, vinegar, iodine, and have been helping the wound heal with coconut oil. She seems to be doing great, she is eating and drinking and when we bathe her she swims around and happily bathes and when we take her outside she runs really fast! She has her strength back! However, around yesterday we started to notice that when she is resting, she breathes pretty heavily and today when we picked her up we noticed her body was pretty hot, she has a fever. It doesn’t make sense to be caused by exercise or overheating because she is indoors in air conditioning, and in a small space where she can’t run. She has a little less energy today, and seems to be trying to sleep a more while heavily breathing. I may be overreacting, but I have been with her through the worst of it that I can’t help but be really concerned that she may still die and that I am doing something wrong. What if she has a bacterial infection? What if she has internal organ damage from the injury? What should I do in a case like this? All the vets in my area either refuse to see her because she is an “invasive species” or estimate I’ll need to pay around of $300-$400, which I do not have. Should I use antibiotics? If so can I get them from my local pet store? Or is it normal for her to have some fever after her injury and maggots? Should I be concerned that she may worsen and die? I just don’t know what to do, and I am very worried. I was so happy to see her regain her strength but now I am concerned about unknown factors that could still kill her. Please, any tips will help, I am desperate.

Hello,
A few days ago neighbors found an injured Muscovy duck and brought her to me because I have been raising ducks and chickens in my backyard. However, I have never had a bird with such a terrible injury; the duck seemed to have been bitten by something around her tail area, and the cuts were all infested with thousands upon thousands of small maggots buried into her skin. The duck is a baby, probably only a month or two old (you know the awkward age where they have big bodies but super tiny wings and a combination of baby fluff and new feathers). Neighbors told me she had been laying outside in the same spot for over two days. By the time I got her, she was extremely weak; couldn’t walk, couldn’t eat or drink, and didn’t even have strength in her neck to hold her head up. I thought she was going to die because she was just limp in my hands. However, with help from posts on this website, we successfully got all the maggots out with salt baths, vinegar, iodine, and have been helping the wound heal with coconut oil. She seems to be doing great, she is eating and drinking and when we bathe her she swims around and happily bathes and when we take her outside she runs really fast! She has her strength back! However, around yesterday we started to notice that when she is resting, she breathes pretty heavily and today when we picked her up we noticed her body was pretty hot, she has a fever. It doesn’t make sense to be caused by exercise or overheating because she is indoors in air conditioning, and in a small space where she can’t run. She has a little less energy today, and seems to be trying to sleep a more while heavily breathing. I may be overreacting, but I have been with her through the worst of it that I can’t help but be really concerned that she may still die and that I am doing something wrong. What if she has a bacterial infection? What if she has internal organ damage from the injury? What should I do in a case like this? All the vets in my area either refuse to see her because she is an “invasive species” or estimate I’ll need to pay around of $300-$400, which I do not have. Should I use antibiotics? If so can I get them from my local pet store? Or is it normal for her to have some fever after her injury and maggots? Should I be concerned that she may worsen and die? I just don’t know what to do, and I am very worried. I was so happy to see her regain her strength but now I am concerned about unknown factors that could still kill her. Please, any tips will help, I am desperate.
Thank you for trying to take her in
My guess is she has got an infection from the prey. Cats for one after a bite can cause bacterial infections
Where are you located ? If I’m USA I know you can get meds
@Miss Lydia
@DuckyDonna
May know where and what to grab
If you have silver you could start spraying that on infection area even if it looks healed and give 1/2 ml to her directly through syringe

Thank you for trying to take her in
My guess is she has got an infection from the prey. Cats for one after a bite can cause bacterial infections
Where are you located ? If I’m USA I know you can get meds
@Miss Lydia
@DuckyDonna
May know where and what to grab
If you have silver you could start spraying that on infection area even if it looks healed and give 1/2 ml to her directly through syringe
I am in the USA! Miami FL

Hey it’s been a while but it turns out she was just fine. I just continued coconut oil treatment. Look at her now, she is so big and already flies around everywhere!

The silly boy on the left is another rescue. They are best friends and go everywhere together since we rescued them around the same time, although he was just a hatchling and she was already a couple months old!! ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_4217.jpeg
    IMG_4217.jpeg
    733.1 KB · Views: 18
Hey it’s been a while but it turns out she was just fine. I just continued coconut oil treatment. Look at her now, she is so big and already flies around everywhere!

The silly boy on the left is another rescue. They are best friends and go everywhere together since we rescued them around the same time, although he was just a hatchling and she was already a couple months old!! ❤️
They are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom