found her secret stash

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
My BO lays daily. Never missed a day since she started. A week ago i checked her nest, which she has moved 3 times, all to places easily found. So i assumed she stopped for some reason, maybe a molt starting, or she was planning on going broody, but a week of no eggs and nothing. Well, today while weed wacking the jungle i found her new nest, with 8 eggs.
I havent been able to get her trained to a nest box, even locking her in the coop for a week she would lay on the ground in a nice pile of straw. She got tired of that and moved her spot into a pile of straw in the attached run(the doors always open and they have complete access to the yard). Then she moved it to a spot behind their feed inside the shed, in the dirt.
A couple months ago before i hurt my back, we had started cleaning the shed. As a result there is a pile of stuff to go to the dump, including a sectional. Part of it was upside down and propped up on a chair. She had built a nice nest under there.

So, question is...are the eggs good or dont risk it. The temps have been 60s to mid 80s the past week. Did a float test and they all sank.
Fridge them and crack them in a bowl seperate from what i am cooking just in case, or dont risk it at all?

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s480x480/487184_4215226738893_492270983_n.jpg

I would not eat them, just because you do not know how old they are, but I would lock her in a coop, until she lays in a nest. no matter what, I would lock her in and get her to finally comit to a nest box in the coop. she is a good layer, but no use if the eggs are always in different places. :)

They are no older than 8 days. Today husband and i fixed the garden fence to make it chicken resistant, they are moving in there tomorrow so it will be easier to keep track.
We did 2 months locked in the coop with no eggs in the nest box from her(the other laid in there and the duck did at that time.

No more than 8 days below 7O & they sank? I would eat them!
At least crack them & sniff... i would think you could tell by that or the consistency right?
(I leave mine on the counter for that long & it's at least 80 in my house this week.)

Ok, i gave them to a young man across the street. Told him when he uses them to crack them in a seperate bowl and smell them and they might not be good. He came oveer when hubby and i were on the porch discussing them and offered to try them lol. I frequently give him extras, even with only two birds laying(one a duck) i still get over run at times. Cant wait until the two newer ones start laying...soon i hope.

lol.png
I hear ya!

I bought 7 pullets from a farm in the next town over because I didn't have any good layers (two 3 y.o. girls & 40 month old babies)
but now I'm giving eggs away to the neighbors!

Back
Top Bottom