Found silkie floating in geese pool!

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
As I was making rounds yesterday, I found one of my little silkies floating in the kiddie pool the geese use. I am sure she was trying to get a drink and fell in as the water just wasn't high enough for her to reach. Yes, they have a waterer out there her size but I guess the pool was tempting? I had the pool inside the run as I keep the geese inside the run during the winter. I grabbed her and she was still alive, she was keeping her head out of the water. she was very cold. I ran her into the house and set her in a sink of warm water then dryed her with the hairdryer till she was pretty much dry. She was still kind of listless though. I put her into a wall mounted chick box in the coop with a light over her. It is deep with shavings for warmth, too. She had fresh food and water and was out of all drafts. That was the best I could do for her.
This morning she was alert and up and around!
wee.gif
I put her down on the floor and out the pop door she went with the rest of the poultry. I was very lucky! I removed the pool and placed it out into the yard since we are now getting some warm weather and the geese do not stay in the run during the daytime. All is well, once again.
thumbsup.gif

I have a silkie roo that is permanently in jail from standing pools of water, because he CHOOSES to go in up to his neck and just stand there. The first time I took him out all panicked. The second time, I was annoyed. The third time he was moved to the OEG pen. Danged fool bird.

Wow! That's awesome.

I had an adult quail escape and not be able to make it out of less than an inch of water. It is nice to hear a happy ending.

Back
Top Bottom