Found some duck eggs

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
Hi yall just need some advice. I have some mallards that live on the bayou that I raisied from babies.Well my BIL, who lives next door was clearing around his bank & came across my ducks & disturbed her nesting spot.
sad.png

Anyho, she hasn't came back to the nest & I just took the two eggs she had laid.I've heard of broody chickens hatching ducks but our humidity here is high like 70 to 90 plus each day. Should I let my broody Buff Orp hatch them?? I just worry cause it is so humid it may effect the incubating process.Or should I just bring broody hen in the house with the eggs in the a/c ????
Confused,
smile.png
Miriam

Well....duck eggs need to be at a higher humidity than chicken eggs.....and if your broody hen will set on them, I say....go for it! Leave her outside...and let her do the job. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks Deb.. Oh I'm excited !! Guess I'd be a grandma to these babies.... how cool !
Yeah I just had another Buff go broody the other day, I'm sure she'll try to hatch them for me..
wee.gif

NO NO NO!! If there were only 2 eggs in the nest she was just laying! Put Em back!! She wasnt done filling up her nest before setting. Please put them back, she will probably come back. If not, then the eggs will be fine while you wait because she hasnt started incubatin them yet!!!!

Hi theOEGBman, I understand, but where she was laying was in a pile of brush/wood that BIL was going to burn, other than that there is no cover for her. It hate it but that's BIL place... different story if it was over on our property.
sad.png

I really wish she would hatch some babies.She's going on 4 yrs old & hasn't had any luck.There could be gators or coons,possums,owls, etc.. eating their eggs & babies. The only ducks that have been successful having babies are the wood ducks. I haven't seen any mallards babies here in yrs.
I don't like messing with Mother nature, but maybe she needs a little help.
smile.png
I'll keep an eye out if my duck hen shows back up.
Thanks,
Miriam

Back
Top Bottom