Found the hidden nest..now what?

chixgodiva

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 6, 2015
Morgantown, WV
Even with chicken math, I'm pretty maxed out. I wondered why I wasn't getting my normal number of eggs, so today I found my Ameracauna on about 10 eggs! She has been going out eating and running around and goes into the coop at night and tonight was the first night that she was on the nest which was outside of the coop. My lavender Orp just hatched 4 little ones about 3 weeks ago, so my little make shift brooder is full. Do I pitch them or let her hatch them? I rehomed the other 2 roos the first week of July, so would these be out of my current rooster? He's a beautiful Ameracauna and I think the eggs are from my pure Ameracauna. I'll check them closely in the daylight. I certainly don't need any more chicks, especially any more roosters!!! What do I do? :(

If you don't want any more chicks, toss them. Just because she's broody, doesn't mean that you have to let her hatch eggs. If you don't have the time or the space for more birds, it's just not responsible to let her hatch the eggs.

I think you can rest easy about pitching the eggs if you don't want or need more chicks, especially considering she just started incubation. If she just started setting last night, they've only been incubated for 1/2 day.

Back
Top Bottom