Found this pair of ducks walking in the street by my daughter's school. Are they wild or domestic?

Aloishhh

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Bellevue, Nebraska
So I found the pair just toodling down the street yesterday afternoon. Idk where they came from or why they're around already. It's early for them and unusual for them to be in the neighborhood... Anyway it wasn't hard to catch them and bring them to the farm. I just got done building them an outdoor space with a pool. However, I went to clip their wings bc I didn't want them to fly off but as I walked into the pen they're in I decided I wasn't sure I should do that. Upon researching I'm still not sure what I've got on my hands here. Anyone have any idea if these 2 are indeed pets or are they wild and I've ducknapped them?

Attachments

• 20240212_182248.jpg
    20240212_182248.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
So it's not a male and female? One's more brown than the other. I just let them out to the yard to see what they'd do. They're just standing there looking at me. Lol they didn't really eat the feed I put out. Last night I thought the smaller one kinda dug in but it looks as full as it was last night

So it's not a male and female? One's more brown than the other.
No - ducks can vary a lot in appearance, but females will never have a green head like that. You can also see both of them have “drake feathers,” which is the curly feather near their tails. You should be able to tell by their voices, too - males are rather quiet and raspy, females are super loud.
Lol they didn't really eat the feed I put out. Last night I thought the smaller one kinda dug in but it looks as full as it was last night
What feed are you giving them? Perhaps they don’t like it, or aren't aware that it’s food.

Also looking now, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re both Khaki Campbells.

Here's another picture. They're quite fond of each other. So you think they're young then? I posted them on the list pets FB and on the next door for our neighborhood. That's so sad. What is wrong with people? Ugh. My mom hates me. I bring home any and every cat I see and now ducks. She still hasn't spoken to me today. Lol lots of eye rolling tho.

Attachments

• 20240213_161443.jpg
    20240213_161443.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
So I'm feeding them just what I feed my other ducks, the water foul crumbles or whatever from TSC or bomgaars. Idk what this bag came from I keep them in containers otherwise it's a mouse buffet.. I have 2 white ducks already, both male. They're constantly raping each other. But hate when I separate them and snuggle for a few days before the raping starts again. I can't just have 4 rapists hanging out. I'm for sure not housing them all together but man, what a bummer. But I couldn't just leave the poor things.

Maybe hang signs up near where you found them? I agree those are domestic ducks, probably literally flew their coop. I’m sure someone is missing them 🙂
I've posted on the pet pages that our community uses for lost/found pets. I haven't had any hits. Just a lot of like thank yous and good works. A girl who lives on the street I found them helped me to catch them and she said she'd lived there for a long time and doesn't know of anyone who has ducks.

Back
Top Bottom