Foundation/base for 8x8 coop?

green_thumb

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
Central Ohio
New member here! I’ve been obsessively pouring over old threads while I have been planning and designing the 8x8 coop I plan to build this spring (in Ohio). My main concern is figuring out how to do the foundation- I wanted some pros and cons of my possible options.

Plan: walk-in 8x8 coop (9-10ft tall at peak of gable roof) constructed from lumber/plywood with an attached covered run constructed with lumber framing and hardware cloth.

Foundation options:
1)Concrete block with some kind of screw-in ground anchor attached to timber frame

2)4x4 “stilts” seated in post holes w/concrete

3)Traditional skids (multiple across bottom)

4)Wide-set skids (4”x4” skids only touch the ground on 4 outer edges)

I originally wanted to go with concrete blocks, as I have a major problem with mice and voles living under my garden shed and thought combining blocks with a hardware cloth skirt would do the job at keeping them out. However, my intended site is under a silver maple and we are bound to run into all kinds of roots trying to dig down any amount.

Because of our pest problems, in any scenario where the coop sits off the ground, I would be tempted to cover the edges with hardware cloth. Is this necessary? We have skunks, foxes, and possums about as well. Would it be worth it to get it high up enough for the chickens to get underneath (option 4)? The ground is relatively flat, but not perfectly so. I’ve included a picture of my intended location (coop and run to be located parallel to the fence) as well as my garden shed which I will by roughly styling the coop after.

My husband and I are pretty handy but this will be our biggest project yet so I want to do it right from the start. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give!

C24D61FE-ED14-49B1-B5C1-D36E741E037D.jpeg

622CC78B-0CEA-4765-AF2F-4277D06D6E11.jpeg

I'd go with option 2 assuming this is to be a stationary coop and simply because it's pretty simple to do and I'm more familiar with doing it that way.

Do you think a two-man auger would have any problems with the roots? I know the smaller ones wouldn’t be an issue but maybe some of the thicker ones...Would you set it up higher enough for the birds to get underneath or not?

The difficulty I see in raising an 8x8 coop 2' off the ground to allow chickens use of the underneath is the will go under there......
Under to hide a nest
Under when sick or injured
Under where to reach them you have to army crawl through poo.

I recall how hard it was to get a stubborn when out from under a 4x6 coop. It was a total pain.

I would build a standard foundation like a shed has.

You may need to take action on the mice before adding chickens.

I have bigger trees where my 8 x 12 coop was going, I built a skid base for it. I used 4 x 8 x 16 cap blocks, to set my skids on. I have 1/2 inch hardware cloth all the way around the base, to keep most anything out. The hardware cloth actually goes down and out 18 inches around the whole coop and run for digging predators also. I didn't make a coop build page yet, but here's a few pictures.

20170325_145632.jpg

Back side of coop base.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Do you think a two-man auger would have any problems with the roots? I know the smaller ones wouldn’t be an issue but maybe some of the thicker ones...Would you set it up higher enough for the birds to get underneath or not?
Really couldn't answer about the 2 man auger since every situation is different, but as noted earlier I would not build it high enough for the chickens to go under for the same reasons previously stated. My little 5X5 coop is about 2 feet up, but the area underneath is not part of the run. The method @blackdog043 of skids on concrete blocks could be a good way to go, also.

The nice thing about raising the coop up would be:
1. Above snow level hopefully, so less snow that needs to be shoveled to reach the coop
2. More open underneath so less rodent friendly
3. If the chickens have access under the coop they can also help keep rodents from nesting there
4. If you get any flooding the coop stays dry

Cons though:
1. Previous posters were right, it is a bear to get the chickens out from there. A long handled grabbing stick thing can help, or a regular garden rake... but yeah, a pain
2. Raised up means the wind blows under the coop and makes it colder.

As to rodents.. I highly recommend using hardware cloth and lining the floor, about 2 feet up the bottom of the coop walls, and wrap the bottom door sill or use a non-chewable door sill, door and frame.
Yes, the cost upfront will hurt, but it us hugely worth it. Good strong guage hardware cloth will keep rodents as well as many chicken eating pests out of the coop.

If you plan to insulate the coop, then I recommend the hardware cloth lining even more strongly. Nothing worse than nice expensive insulation turning into a rodent condo.

As to the foundation. . Skids would cause the least amount of root damage.

You could avoid digging down on the run edges by skirting the wire, which would also save the tree and still give predator and rodent protection.

New member here! I’ve been obsessively pouring over old threads while I have been planning and designing the 8x8 coop I plan to build this spring (in Ohio). My main concern is figuring out how to do the foundation- I wanted some pros and cons of my possible options.

Plan: walk-in 8x8 coop (9-10ft tall at peak of gable roof) constructed from lumber/plywood with an attached covered run constructed with lumber framing and hardware cloth.

Foundation options:
1)Concrete block with some kind of screw-in ground anchor attached to timber frame

2)4x4 “stilts” seated in post holes w/concrete

3)Traditional skids (multiple across bottom)

4)Wide-set skids (4”x4” skids only touch the ground on 4 outer edges)

I originally wanted to go with concrete blocks, as I have a major problem with mice and voles living under my garden shed and thought combining blocks with a hardware cloth skirt would do the job at keeping them out. However, my intended site is under a silver maple and we are bound to run into all kinds of roots trying to dig down any amount.

Because of our pest problems, in any scenario where the coop sits off the ground, I would be tempted to cover the edges with hardware cloth. Is this necessary? We have skunks, foxes, and possums about as well. Would it be worth it to get it high up enough for the chickens to get underneath (option 4)? The ground is relatively flat, but not perfectly so. I’ve included a picture of my intended location (coop and run to be located parallel to the fence) as well as my garden shed which I will by roughly styling the coop after.

My husband and I are pretty handy but this will be our biggest project yet so I want to do it right from the start. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give!

View attachment 1657409
View attachment 1657411

We chose to build our coop elevated about 2.5’ above the ground. But, we were building in an existing dog run, behind our barn, and this gave the chickens a place to hang out that was cool and shady, and maximized the space. A fishing net gets them out from under (usually running away from the net). And I’m less worried about rodents, bc there are fewer ways for them to hide or enter.

However, in your situation, you don’t need to elevate it. Looks like you have a nice open space to place the coop, and shade from the tree. In addition, you are looking to style it after the existing shed, so keep it grounded!

Good luck!

Thanks for all your replies, keep them coming! At this point I am leaning towards doing something like blackdog has, maybe not quite as high. Unfortunately, eliminating the mice and voles is pretty much impossible because our lot is surrounded by farm field on 3 sides and more move in as fast as my traps and dogs can kill them! I’ll be sure to update you all as my design and build progresses!

Back
Top Bottom