Four Brooding Ducks

Calendula

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2014
So the other day when my stepdad went down to take care of the animals, he noticed our Pekin camping out in some tall grass. Going over to investigate, the Pekin climbed off a nest of about twenty eggs - mostly duck, but with two chicken. (If the chicken eggs hatch, I plan to separate them and figure out something.)

I went down to see this for myself yesterday and foun the Pekin on half of the best with our Khaki Campbell on the other half. Well, I thought I had read somewhere about two female ducks hatching eggs together. I decided I would just leave them be.

And then when I was on my way to work, I realized the Khaki Campbell and Pekin weren't on the eggs. Instead, our two Rouens were seated over there.

Now, I am quite confused. The eggs have probably been brooded for about a week, but are they even brooding? I plan on candling them tomorrow night to see, but... has anyone heard of this? Or do we just happen to go by at the right time when someone is laying?

Also, should I move the group into a separate pen? I know our chickens wouldn't do anything, but I do have two drakes that might.... So far, I've only seen the drakes chasing away the chickens.

Overall, it is a bit of an awkward situation. Has anyone had this happen before?

I think I have read on here that ducks will lay on everyone's eggs. If the males are chasing away the chickens, then someone is broody.

Sometimes moving the nest creates a problem, because they wont go back. But with as many setters as you have, seems like someone would find their way back.

are they protected from predators at night?

No, they're out in the open pen.... But we've also never lost a bird to predators, even though we have possums, raccoons, coyotes, foxes...
I'm not sure why. I think it might be from my dog chasing them away.

I think I'll leave them and check them out tonight to make sure they are brooding all the time.
It's just weird because the ducks have never made a nest in the grass, and they have never sat on eggs, until now.

Back
Top Bottom