four in one coop.... please help with ideas

dolfi

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
kissimmee, florida
I will like to keep at least four breeds and dont want to have them together. I am in the proccess of making my own coop, but i need it to be good for all four without getting them to be able to mix. any ideas out there that would be low cost and woman freindly

I have some idea. like a larger coop divided in four and four runs but its in my head. cant get it out of it so i can make it. lol

waiting for prince charms to come to the rescue

How many chickens each, and how large a building?

I can envision something with a center isle and two coop areas at each side that you can access from the inside for cleaning and maintenance, each could have their own run area outside their respective coop. How big this would be depends on how many birds you want to keep and how big their outdoor space would be.

Partitions could be as easy as putting up some fence materials to separate the flocks, or as fancy as building walls.

In two weeks I am getting a 10x14 coop that I will divide in two halves, each 10x7, for two separate flocks, by putting a wall in the middle. Each half is going to be accessible by a door in the 14 ft wall, and each flock will have a run coming off of the 10 ft wall at each end.

Last edited:
How many chickens each, and how large a building?

I can envision something with a center isle and two coop areas at each side that you can access from the inside for cleaning and maintenance, each could have their own run area outside their respective coop. How big this would be depends on how many birds you want to keep and how big their outdoor space would be.

Partitions could be as easy as putting up some fence materials to separate the flocks, or as fancy as building walls.

In two weeks I am getting a 10x14 coop that I ivide in two halves, each 10x7, for two separate flocks, by putting a wall in the middle. Each half is going to be accessible by a door in the 14 ft wall, and each flock will have a run coming off of the 10 ft wall at each end.
i have longisland reds and will have hatched some frizzles and silkes. as well as some bantams. to im guessing i need four coop space with runs and a little cage in the middle for my hatch that would be about two months so they could get use to the outdoors. i know what i need but need help puting it togethter.
idunno.gif
lol.png

I'd be happy to help but I need more information than this.

1. How many chickens of each breed are you planning to have? 1 or 2, 10-15?
2. how much money do you have How much are you prepared to spend/or do yourself?

I can make you a drawing of what I would have in mind but don't know how big this is going to have to be.

Why do you have to have the birds separate? Are you going to be breeding them? If not, I say let them be together. I have a varied flock in both size and breed. I have tiny modern game hens and a giant show quality black australourp and everything in between all together in one coop and one run. I would have to have about 20 different coops to house all my different breeds!

Why do you have to have the birds separate? Are you going to be breeding them? If not, I say let them be together. I have a varied flock in both size and breed. I have tiny modern game hens and a giant show quality black australourp and everything in between all together in one coop and one run. I would have to have about 20 different coops to house all my different breeds!
I'd be happy to help but I need more information than this.

1. How many chickens of each breed are you planning to have? 1 or 2, 10-15?
2. how much money do you have How much are you prepared to spend/or do yourself?

I can make you a drawing of what I would have in mind but don't know how big this is going to have to be.
i believe i will have four different breeds and about five of each breeds. $ not much picked up some pallets to see how i can use them.

I am coming up with some ideas but not successful

I have 4 breeds. 6 white leghorns, 6 red sexlinks, 3 Easter Eggers, 2 silkies. They all co-mingle well enough in 1 coop (8x8).
Only issues-I can't get the silkies to learn to put themselves to bed at night like everyone else. But they were never locked in coop like the leghorns and sexlinks were as chicks. The silkies & EE were bought at the same time as young birds (not really chicks). The EE learned really quick to get inside before bedtime but the Silkies still sleep outside unless I put them in by hand.
They kind of pester each other from time to time but nothing to bad. I see some of the ladies being bullies to the EE once in a while but no one ever messes with the silkies. Who knows. I say before you mess with trying to divide it all up, try and mingle all together first to save $ and hassles.
Disclaimer: I have only been a chicken mama for a few months so value my advice accordingly.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom