Four roosters with three hens? Can it work!

How old are these boys?  "Really friendly and sweet"  can become "Wants to hurt me!" if you are misinterpreting the behaviors your are seeing in younger cockrels.  I want my cockrels to respect my space at all times instead.  Mary

I agree w [@]Folly's place . Depending on how old your roos are, you may be in for a big surprise later on temperament wise. If they are very young, I would wait a little while longer to decide which ones to give away. I would also separate these roosters from the hens, as those girls may become seriously hurt.
Best of luck with your decision. Let us know how it turned out.

How old are these boys?  "Really friendly and sweet"  can become "Wants to hurt me!" if you are misinterpreting the behaviors your are seeing in younger cockrels.  I want my cockrels to respect my space at all times instead.  Mary

Hi Mary, all seven chicks are almost two months old

I order straight run chicks, or have broody raised babies, so plenty of cockrels every year. I watch them and have a plan; some for the freezer, some as potential cocks here, and some for sale to other folks. Good behavior is the most important thing! You've got at least a few months to decide who might stay, so enjoy them as they grow. I don't make pets out of my cockrels, and am aware of what to watch out for. Mary

Speaking from experience if you hang on to them there'll come a time you'll be very glad to be rid of them - whether rehoming or into the pot. Cockerels can become anti-social really quickly as they mature. Two months old cockerels and year olds are very different creatures!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom