Four year old black Australorp with curled feet and lack of appetite

AGia13

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
Hello, I have a four year old Australorp, who five days ago, we found with her right foot curled and seemed paralyzed. No signs of injury to her foot or leg. I brought her inside and have been giving her vitamin water and b2 rich foods in case of a deficiency. Her appetite seems poor, although she does drink water. Her stools are watery and seemingly less and less frequent. She seems alert most of the time. No vision impairment or issues with her neck and head. She has been attempting to stand on her own more frequently, but still with her right foot curled under.
Has anyone had this happen to one of their chickens? If so was there anything special you did to help. The rest of the flock are completely healthy. This chicken did have prolapse ovaduct two years ago, that I was able to successfully treat.

Thank you for your help!

Several things could potentially cause curled toe paralysis, and those include Mareks disease, getting a leg injury with nerve damage, or a tumor or internal mass which is pressing on her sciatic nerve. Has she laid eggs recently? Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Cannyou insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to feel for an egg or an obstruction? I would help her stand to exercise her leg, and some times a chicken sling can be helpful to get them up and in front of food and water. Here is some info on those:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Several things could potentially cause curled toe paralysis, and those include Mareks disease, getting a leg injury with nerve damage, or a tumor or internal mass which is pressing on her sciatic nerve. Has she laid eggs recently? Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Cannyou insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to feel for an egg or an obstruction? I would help her stand to exercise her leg, and some times a chicken sling can be helpful to get them up and in front of food and water. Here is some info on those:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thank you for your reply. I haven’t added any new chickens in over two years. She has not laid any eggs recently, but neither have the others. It’s very cold where I live and I do not use any artificial lighting in the coop, so her and the other four year old chickens in there have not produced many eggs over that last month or so. I will check for an obstruction just to be sure. I also have helped her stand a little bit which she can do on her own from time to time, but she keeps her foot curled and stand on her toes curled.
Thank you for you help with all of this!

Back
Top Bottom