sundal76

Chirping
Aug 15, 2018
Can someone talk to me about fowl cholera?

I had one rooster die suddenly, it was captured on my security camera. Looked like a heart attack. 5 days later I found his buddy who was also a rooster, dead. This was out of view of the camera. There is one rooster left in the group still alive and seemingly well. They live with 8 ducks but have interaction in my barn with other ducks, turkeys, chickens and one more rooster as well as two goats and two horses. The rest of the flock seems to all be healthy with no known issues. Three of the ducks are special needs (leg issues) and one hen is currently battling an impacted crop for the second time in 8 months. I do also have 11 guinea hens that live totally separate from these birds on a separate piece of property but they do venture over to the property these birds are on during the warmer weather.

I work at an animal clinic that treats chickens and my doctor thought coronary disease/heart attacks due to size/age and the video. We sent the 2nd rooster out to the LIU lab for a necropsy.

Results came back - acute bacterial sepsis, HIGHLY SUGGESTIVE of acute/peracute infection with Pasteurella multocida aka fowl cholera.

Of course, now I am freaking out about the rest of my flock and future flocks. I am working closely with my doctor, of course. But looking for first hand experience with this? Any help/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

My birds were diagnosed with Fowl Cholera as well, it’s a pretty rough disease that can have a high mortality rate. I was told to cull my entire flock because of it. Antibiotics could work, but the disease is incurable and it’s chronic. Birds that seem to have “recovered” remain lifetime carriers.

My birds were diagnosed with Fowl Cholera as well, it’s a pretty rough disease that can have a high mortality rate. I was told to cull my entire flock because of it. Antibiotics could work, but the disease is incurable and it’s chronic. Birds that seem to have “recovered” remain lifetime carriers.
What did you do with your flock - cull? antibiotics? nothing?

I read about culling the flock - that is not something that I will be doing.

I am working very closely with my vet. I have an acute case so none of them are showing any symptoms and are not "sick". I have only had 2 deaths so far and praying hard for no more, although I know it is a high mortality rate, unfortunately.

If any of them begin showing symptoms, of course the appropriate steps will be taken when the time comes. But for now, they are all happy and seemingly healthy birds.

What did you do with your flock - cull? antibiotics? nothing?

I read about culling the flock - that is not something that I will be doing.

I am working very closely with my vet. I have an acute case so none of them are showing any symptoms and are not "sick". I have only had 2 deaths so far and praying hard for no more, although I know it is a high mortality rate, unfortunately.

If any of them begin showing symptoms, of course the appropriate steps will be taken when the time comes. But for now, they are all happy and seemingly healthy birds.
Yes, I was told cull- especially if I wanted to be a breeder to sell.

Back
Top Bottom