Fowl Pox healed but Eye Ball looks white

momchick4

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 7, 2015
My girl has completely healed from fowl pox. All lesions are gone and she looks good except her eye. Her right eye was swollen shut from the pox. She finally started opening it Saturday and this is what I see. She is eating, drinking, and acting normal. I was going to start reintroducing her to the flock until I saw her eye last night.
I flushed the eye with a saline solution. The white covers the eyeball and is not moving at all. Any ideas what this could be?

I suspect that's a secondary infection and that she won't regain sight in that eye. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

I had two pullets (this one & another) that both had fowl pox at the same time. The other one had the really big infected eyes.

I took that one to the vet two weeks ago. The vet was ok, but not that knowledgeable about chickens. I felt like I spent too much money ($118 for office visit & antibiotic) for the lack of knowledge. The vet did prescribe an oral antibiotic for 14 days. She had me give it to both pullets since they were originally quarantined together due to the fowl pox. The other pullet lost one eye but is otherwise doing good.

The last two days of the antibiotic is when her eye finally opened and it looked like this. Not sure what can be done since she just finished 14 days of oral antibiotics. She is eating and gaining weight. I started weighing her each night since she was put in quarantine.

I am looking at my receipt and the antibiotic was SMZ TMP (Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim)

Last edited:
I had two pullets (this one & another) that both had fowl pox at the same time. The other one had the really big infected eyes.

I took that one to the vet two weeks ago. The vet was ok, but not that knowledgeable about chickens. I felt like I spent too much money ($118 for office visit & antibiotic) for the lack of knowledge. The vet did prescribe an oral antibiotic for 14 days. She had me give it to both pullets since they were originally quarantined together due to the fowl pox. The other pullet lost one eye but is otherwise doing good.

The last two days of the antibiotic is when her eye finally opened and it looked like this. Not sure what can be done since she just finished 14 days of oral antibiotics. She is eating and gaining weight. I started weighing her each night since she was put in quarantine.
Not sure much can be done for the eye, which is why I suggested the vet. Maybe email them a picture and ask them to comment on it?

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I will try to email the vet. She was very nice, just not as knowledgeable as I would have hoped.
My girl (Loretta) has been through so much with the fowl pox. I was surprised to see her eye like this after being on the antibiotic (Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim).

Would you suggest keeping her in quarantine a little while longer?

Thanks Kathy. I will try to email the vet. She was very nice, just not as knowledgeable as I would have hoped.
My girl (Loretta) has been through so much with the fowl pox. I was surprised to see her eye like this after being on the antibiotic (Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim).

Would you suggest keeping her in quarantine a little while longer?
Maybe keep her in for a few more days.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom