Fowl pox in rooster

TexasHeifer

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Texas
Is this fowl pox? This literally showed up within the last 2 days. From my understanding it isn't curable, it's something they get over themselves in several weeks and it's spread mainly by mosquitoes?

Is the anything extra I can do to keep this from causing a secondary infection? Non of my local feed stores have antibiotics. The only thing close is the Sav-A-Chick powder.

Yep, it looks like a mild case of fowl pox, it may or may not get worse. You can provide Sav-A-Chick to help boost the immune system to help fight off secondary bacterial infections IF they occur. I dont recommend giving antibiotics unless there is an actual need for them. I see no need for them in this instance unless you observe something out of the ordinary.
You can put iodine or black shoe polish on the scabs to help dry them up quicker. Neosporin ointment can be used if the bird scratches a scab, then put neosporin on the wound to prevent bacterial infection.
Remember, fowl pox is a virus and antibiotics wont treat it, it'll have to run its course.
Mosquitos normally carry the virus. Try to eliminate places and items holding water where mosquitos breed.

Yep, it looks like a mild case of fowl pox, it may or may not get worse. You can provide Sav-A-Chick to help boost the immune system to help fight off secondary bacterial infections IF they occur. I dont recommend giving antibiotics unless there is an actual need for them. I see no need for them in this instance unless you observe something out of the ordinary.
You can put iodine or black shoe polish on the scabs to help dry them up quicker. Neosporin ointment can be used if the bird scratches a scab, then put neosporin on the wound to prevent bacterial infection.
Remember, fowl pox is a virus and antibiotics wont treat it, it'll have to run its course.
Mosquitos normally carry the virus. Try to eliminate places and items holding water where mosquitos breed.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom