Fox…Edit: Wile E Coyote

We have a whole family now! I see the parents and a few kits a couple times a month. The kits were sniffing out my chickens in the pen yesterday…I saw them and ran out to scare them, but the chickens weren’t too concerned (good or bad is TBD). Their coop is secure so I don’t worry at night, but the pen has avian netting on top so if they really wanted to, the foxes could climb and chew through. My office overlooks everything and they don’t seem bold during the day so fingers crossed!

Haven’t seen the coyote since winter - our property backs up to a lot of woods and eventually a giant wooded park, so they probably had more luck with catching food in the wild.

Allowing predators to hang around teaches the chickens to not be afraid .If they have no fear they won't run & hide if a predator attacks them they will surely die.
Well, if a fox got in the chicken run, there would be nowhere to hide that a fox couldn’t get them. The dogs are around their pen because it’s in the back yard and the dogs like being around us when we’re back there, but a predator getting in with the chickens is a worst case scenario.

Well, if a fox got in the chicken run, there would be nowhere to hide that a fox couldn’t get them. The dogs are around their pen because it’s in the back yard and the dogs like being around us when we’re back there, but a predator getting in with the chickens is a worst case scenario.
I don't befriend wildlife because it teaches them not to fear people .This leads them crossing the line & begging for food or hunting livestock which gets them killed.I realize you don't mean this fox or its kits any harm but the best thing you can do is run it off.If it ever gets the chance it will kill chickens if not your your neighbors.

I don't befriend wildlife because it teaches them not to fear people .This leads them crossing the line & begging for food or hunting livestock which gets them killed.I realize you don't mean this fox or its kits any harm but the best thing you can do is run it off.If it ever gets the chance it will kill chickens if not your your neighbors.
Oh, I’m not befriending wildlife…any time I see them I run outside to scare them off.

Back
Top Bottom