Fox attack injury, small open wound.

Leannetimm

Chirping
Aug 26, 2016
Good evening from France ! So lucky, as almost falling asleep last night, I heard the beginning of a Fox attack. Hadn't noticed that the automatic door had closed with 3 of my 4 hens not in yet.... Managed to stop the attack, with mostly what seems like lots of lost feathers, but have found an open wound (about the size of a little fingernail) on the back of one of my hens. She is acting very docile but is eating and drinking. She spent the whole day in her house, but eventually came out and was pecking (slowly) with the others. Sorry, rambling... I've cleaned the wound with TeaTree oil. If I do that a couple times a day, do you think the wound will heal itself ?
Merci !

Could you show us the wound by posting a picture?
Easy to do if you’re working with a smart phone.
I don’t know the prevalence of the rabies virus in France, but it is a grave concern here in the USA.

I would suggest wearing gloves when treating the wound initially.

Thank you ! I'll take a pic when she comes out of her hutch later... The wound is doing ok, cleaning with Tea Tree. Now worried about Rabies !!!

BUT my hen seems to have been mentally traumatized or injured. Her behavior has totally changed. She will eat and drink but mostly just stands in one spot looking miserable .....

Could you show us the wound by posting a picture?
Easy to do if you’re working with a smart phone.
I don’t know the prevalence of the rabies virus in France, but it is a grave concern here in the USA.

I would suggest wearing gloves when treating the wound initially.

Sometimes they experience shock for a few days. Have you been checking the wound for signs of infection?
Have you checked very carefully for another puncture wound? Usually they is a corresponding wound if there is a deep puncture. Tea tree oil may be fine, but if you had any antibiotic ointment I’d use that.
Have you had an opportunity to observe how she’s moving?
She may be stiff and sore internally or from how the Fox squeezed or shook her.
She’s very lucky to be alive.

Please don’t take on the burden of guilt. These things happen. Reset the timer on your door opener to allow for the lengthening days. That’s probably what kept them out.

My chickens have an enclosed run for mornings and rainy day fun but spend a good portion of the day free ranging in my yard. I once spent all day cleaning my coop and run while they were out and about and DH was out of town.
I’d absentmindedly kicked the door shut to the enclosed run when the job was complete.
Later I did some housework, took the dog for a walk, took a shower, then met my daughter for some shopping, and as it turned out, dinner.
I came home well after dark.
When I took the dog outside I discovered all my chickens sound asleep in a pile on the front doorstep to their coop! They had no way of getting in with the door to their run closed and no access to the automatic pop door. THEY WERE COMPLETELY UNPROTECTED!
I was so fortunate that a predator didn’t wander by that evening. I felt terrible.

Thank you so much for your reply... I did feel a bit guilty as we forgot to change the time the automatic door closes AGAIN :( Your story is funny as I have also come home in the evening to find our chickens all asleep at our front door !
So you were right, I did find another wound... Not sure why I didn't think of looking for the corresponding wound ! I gave her some cooked meat today and she loved that. Hopefully its temporary, and just shock !
Thanks again...

Sometimes they experience shock for a few days. Have you been checking the wound for signs of infection?
Have you checked very carefully for another puncture wound? Usually they is a corresponding wound if there is a deep puncture. Tea tree oil may be fine, but if you had any antibiotic ointment I’d use that.
Have you had an opportunity to observe how she’s moving?
She may be stiff and sore internally or from how the Fox squeezed or shook her.
She’s very lucky to be alive.

Please don’t take on the burden of guilt. These things happen. Reset the timer on your door opener to allow for the lengthening days. That’s probably what kept them out.

My chickens have an enclosed run for mornings and rainy day fun but spend a good portion of the day free ranging in my yard. I once spent all day cleaning my coop and run while they were out and about and DH was out of town.
I’d absentmindedly kicked the door shut to the enclosed run when the job was complete.
Later I did some housework, took the dog for a walk, took a shower, then met my daughter for some shopping, and as it turned out, dinner.
I came home well after dark.
When I took the dog outside I discovered all my chickens sound asleep in a pile on the front doorstep to their coop! They had no way of getting in with the door to their run closed and no access to the automatic pop door. THEY WERE COMPLETELY UNPROTECTED!
I was so fortunate that a predator didn’t wander by that evening. I felt terrible.

Back
Top Bottom