Fox attack

shellchickshock

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 2, 2016
My chickens were attacked by what I assume was a fox 3 days ago. 1 chicken died, 1 was injured. The injured chicken was brought inside to a clean dry area, the wounds were cleaned and antibiotic spray was applied. The wound seems to be healing well, seems pretty superficial except 1 area on her back which looks like a small hole. This hole (puncture hole?) Goes quite deep and I can hear a wheezing sound from it when she breaths. It's not weeping or bleeding. Could she have had her lung punctured? If so what do I do? She seems ok in herself, eating drinking and walking around. She even laid an egg yesterday! The wounds themselves are not worrying me, but the hole is! Help..

Hey Shell, I would fix your title as at first glance, people are going to wonder what kind of fax machine attacks.

But, so sorry about what happened! Under your post, this thread pops up, so I read it. If you scroll down to what LaFleche said, that sounds like one great method of treating puncture holes that rooster spikes make so might help yours.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-vet-has-never-seen-anything-like-it.1589615/

Do you have a picture. Yes, it could be that her lung possibly was punctured. The lungs are located in the upper back of the chicken. I’m not sure what can be done about the puncture without seeing it. A vet might put in a stitch or two. You may want to clean the puncture and put some Neosporin ointment on it.
1693166234906.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom