Fox bite

talelady

In the Brooder
May 22, 2016
I had a fox get one of my chickens this afternoon and im wondering what dose of oxytetracycline to give her. She has a few puncture wounds to her chest and under her wings. I've put vetericyn on them and have her in my bathroom with food and water. She also has poultry electrolytes in her water.

Does she seem in pain?
Was it out and wrap it with cotton pads(cloth or what ever)and vet wrap.

Yes she is in pain, it is under her wing so im not sure how wrapping it would work but i do have telfa pads and vet wrap to use. I washed her as best as i could and put vetericyn on her wounds.

Last edited:
Chickens are surprisingly resilient. I've had a few chickens that have survived some pretty graphic wounds. I would place her in a warm bath and keep soaking and scrubbing the wounds several times a day, if you're able, using gentle iodine diluted to color of tea or, better yet, betadine, rinse, pat dry and pack the wounds with original Neosporin (or you can spray with the Vetericyn you have on hand. I would not wrap; I've also not had to administer an antibiotic, however, I was very diligent in each case in keeping the wounds as clean and clear of debris as possible (you may need to clip some of the feathers around the wounds). Keep her quiet and isolated, indoors in a crate if possible to prevent fly strike. Offer her water and her regular feed along with some added treats like leafy greens, corn, cheese, scrambled egg, anything that has a little added protein that she finds yummy and will keep her eating. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Chickens are surprisingly resilient. I've had a few chickens that have survived some pretty graphic wounds. I would place her in a warm bath and keep soaking and scrubbing the wounds several times a day, if you're able, using gentle iodine diluted to color of tea or, better yet, betadine, rinse, pat dry and pack the wounds with original Neosporin (or you can spray with the Vetericyn you have on hand. I would not wrap; I've also not had to administer an antibiotic, however, I was very diligent in each case in keeping the wounds as clean and clear of debris as possible (you may need to clip some of the feathers around the wounds). Keep her quiet and isolated, indoors in a crate if possible to prevent fly strike. Offer her water and her regular feed along with some added treats like leafy greens, corn, cheese, scrambled egg, anything that has a little added protein that she finds yummy and will keep her eating. Best of luck.[/quote
I have her in my bathroom were its cool,dark and quite. I gave her some caned cat food and she ate a little of it i think mostly to just bite me. I do have betadine and will clean it again before bed and put some neosporine on it. Its a good thing i have all this first aid stuff for my horses already. Is there anyting you can give chickens for pain?

Back
Top Bottom