fox got ANOTHER hen

KrazyChromatics

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Northern NY
barnie.gif
we were in the mid garden and we hear something got a chicken then they all alarm called, we ranas fast as we could down there and i got the dogs, i told Rilee to "get that fox!" and he went trotting down the drive, looked like something grabbed his nose and drug him into the bushes, he found where the hen was grabbed, and then he took off after the scent all through the woods around and around, all the way to the road where he waited for me, and then it was clear he had lost the scent, he turned around and back tracked, and couldnt pick it back up... not bad for a pit whos only ever seen a fox once *there was LOTS of praise when he chased it and he never forgot*

Couple days ago i bought some fox urine, and now im shopping for a pelt i want to train Rilee to destroy foxes.... hes got the basics down, but he has never confronted one and hes very soft hearted, i need him to dog up and kill this fox if it comes to that... so ill begin training him with the sent with dragging a rag, then ill include the visual chase when it comes time...

Ive gad a live trap *large one* set off an on over the past couple months, for a few days here and ther but when it rains i dont set it...

Interesting thing happened, i threw in chunks of permethrin soaked chicken plus a soaked leg and thigh, that bit i tied twine tightly around the bone through the meat, it was there for a few days then it rained and i forgot about it, i realized how icky that would be with the sudden heat and went to remove it... it was NOT there or the other bits of meat, no bone, no sign, the twine was still there, and not chewed through... but the trap did not go off either and i have the bottom covered in ferns, so he couldn't have seen the plate and i pressed lightly on it and it went off right away, tested it with the dog, went right off *when he could see the plate he is careful to avoid it*

So i guess chickens are back on lock down, for a few days and im going to have the trap set and im going to try and spray the urine .. im gunna have to kill a chicken and put its wing in there *bake it dry so it doesnt rot* .... we have also tried tethering a chicken out and waiting around to shoot it.. but this one is deff crafty, last year the one we shot was right out in the open, chasing a bird in circles... io ve

oh interesting development before i could post this Rilee ran to the door growling, we let him out and he bolted across the yard into the woods.. chris is following with a gun.. perhaps our friend has returned...

man chased that mutt for 45 minuets then he lost me in the woods... so wandered around thinking i would come out one place, wrong! came out going a different direction than i thought but atleast it was near the barn, but some 500 yards from where i thought lmao... i could have gotten completely lost even worse... rilee came home about 2 hrs or so later... this morning he did another sweep... im also going to see about setting some snares, and maybe ordering some dog safe foot hold traps... i feel like im at war with a beautiful creature....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom