Fox is wiping out my flock

eldorado

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Hi,

I would like advice on how to catch or repel a red fox that is pretty much wiping us out.

We are loosing 1-2 birds each day.
He gets in by digging under the pens.

Any advice is apppreciated.

Regards,

Joe

http://www.poultrybid.com

We called the forest service and they got me a number to a guy who does nusance trapping of predators. He came out and set several traps but didn't catch anything. He gave us three snares and showed us how to use them. He came by every day for several days. call the forest service they will know a fella.

Arklady

Dig a trench at least 6" deep around the walls. Put sheet metal or hardware cloth down into the trench to form a below ground fence. Have the lower edges of the sheet metal or hardware cloth bent out away from the walls. Attach the top of the sheet metal or hardware cloth to the bottom of your current fence or wall. Refill the trench with the dirt you removed.

Alternately, fill the trench with Quikcrete or cement up to the current walls or fence.

A tip... when removing dirt, put it on a tarp or piece of wood or cardboard. It makes putting it back into the trench much easier.

Good luck!
regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:
How about electric fencing?? That should take care of that foxy fox. You can find fencing in Murray McMurray catalog. Good Luck!
he.gif

You might try motion detecting flood lights or a radio tuned to a "talk" station. We also have two dogs that are outside on patrol at night - they're not LGD dogs (the one we do have is a big baby), but blue heeler/pointer mixes, so they've got a good hunting drive. They've managed to fight off a very large badger, several racoons and oppossums and a scary skunk.

You could also try peeing around the perimeter of your chickens' area - I've heard that male urine is a good deterrant for a lot of critters.

That, or you could stay up all night and bang a spoon on a metal pot when you spot him. Of you could fill a supersoaker up with vinegar and spray him if you're close enough. I'm all for non-fatal methods, when possible.

Like chickflick mentioned, electric fencing is a good idea - it keeps our neighbor's giant lab out (and I know he desperate wants those chickens) - we have a strand strung about 6 inches off the ground, so even if he got the gall to dig under the fence, when he came up, he'd at least catch his tail on it and zap himself good. He can smell it, so he steers clear of the fence. Good luck - I hope Mr. Fox finds somewhere else to dine.
smile.png
~ Oaknim

Thanks to all for your help.

I have since installed 3 strands of electric fence around all of my pens.
So far, I have not lost any more. Just got to remember to turn it off when I feed.
wink.png

Im so glad its working, foxes are really clever.
I would also recommend peeing at the spot where he enters your yard if there is a spot.
We have done this once or twice, mainly because the loo was taken and we had a "bladderbuster" and then we remembered the foxyloxy!!!
Best of luck
Helen

That is a good idea about the trench. Thought I'd add something I've already mentioned about taking the dogs out to the barn to pee at night. I said I wasn't sure if this worked, or was just coincidence. Well, three nights ago we finally got tired of taking them all the way out there, and decided it was just coincidence. WRONG!!!! We got hit again the night before last, and lost another hen. Now we have EIGHT chickens, instead of six, who we have to transport out to the barn every night and find a safe and secure place for them to roost, because they are all insisting on roosting in the garage! The ones staying in the barn have become ingenious in finding high, inaccessible places to roost. Needless to say, we were back out with the dogs last night....

ALSO...it's nice to know that other people like to use non-fatal methods, and everyone has a lot of good ideas (I'm dying to try the water gun, too!). All these predators are just trying to feed their babies, for the most part, anyway, or feed themselves after the extra effort of feeding the babies. I'd hate to think of any abandoned babies starving to death because Mom never came home. We once had a female skunk raise her litter in our barn, right under our noses, you might say! Amazingly, she never harmed a chicken; may've eaten an egg or two but hardly any; and every afternoon her babies would play on the barn floor for a while, then all would leave to go hunting for the night. We never had any problems with mice or rats while they were there; (unlike now) and neither did she ever spray anyone. We just left her and the babes totally alone whenever they were active. The babies grew up and everyone left. Don't know what we have now eating our chickens; something that can climb, a raccoon, mink. or possum, maybe.

Are your chickens out at night ? If not the first thing to do is put a floor on your pen We put plywood floors in ours after something dug in We recently lost a goose that way and put the floor in and so far so good. Digging a trench and putting fence is also the way to go

Back
Top Bottom