Fox problem

Pics
I've just started getting into trapping so I've been getting a lot information from experienced trappers on youtube and face to face. From what I've seen from experts who have been trapping for awhile very few people trap red foxes in the standard sized cage trap that you might get for coons or opossums. Gray foxes are bit more likely to go in those but not much more likely. Most people who cage trap foxes use a much taller version of a cage style trap. I've normally seen these listed as bobcat cage traps. But these tend to be quite expensive so if possible you might want to make a taller cage trap yourself.
Also with foxes it seems to be that covering the trap in brush is very important. Definitely use some sort of meat like chicken for fox because if you use something that's sweet like peanut butter or your more likely to catch a coon or opossum. Also avoid rotting or old meat because that tends to be what trappers tend to use for skunks.

Also speaking of trapping trap wax is a product used to disguise foot hold traps but it's not a bad idea to use on cage traps. It's a process that involves boiling water and coating the traps with the product.

Foothold traps would not be a bad idea if they are legal in your state because people seem to have better luck with those. But if you use one your probably going to have to shoot the animal unless you can somehow have success getting the fox out of the foothold trap and into a cage without getting yourself scratched or bitten.

Thanks for the info. Its about time for them again here. I only have problems with them in the spring time because they are trying to feed their kitts with my chickens. I have learned the hard way that I can't free range in the spring.

Thanks for the info. Its about time for them again here. I only have problems with them in the spring time because they are trying to feed their kitts with my chickens. I have learned the hard way that I can't free range in the spring.
Yeah that makes sense. It might be worth it to get a livestock guardian dog to watch the flock. I hear they can do a good job at protecting poultry from predators. Maybe even a guard goose.

I have had issues with fox in the past. I have trapped them. There is always another who will replace it. The foxes I killed were out during the day. One dug under a gate to a pen and was killing birds and dragging them out of the pen under the gate and then go back in and kill another and repeat. Now I have concrete under the gates. Another one came up and snatched my favorite bird while she was dust bathing during the middle of the day. It was a female but didn't appear to be suckling so I don't think it had kits but may have been pregnant. I set traps out and baited them and let the fox get the bait then set the trap, It was used to going in the traps then and I caught it. I have seen other fox on my game cameras since.
DSCF0012 22.jpg

When I let my chickens free-range, I also worked in the evening and didn't get the gate closed until after dark. So I put up the electric fencer, hoping that would help to keep predators out. I discovered that the best part of the electric fencer was the little red flashing light. They sell something called a predator eye on Amazon that is solar powered and has a little LED red light that flashes intermittently. I put two of those over the gate to the chicken house as well as over the small door that the birds used. I never lost another chicken. This was with coyotes, not with foxes, but I swear by those predator eyes.
I have coyotes that come in the daytime, do you think that would work?

I have seen coyotes during the day but they know there is electric wires around my coops and pens. I think the adults teach their young that a chicken isn't worth getting zapped for.

I also read on Nextdoor that a neighbor bought and used wolf urine and that totally eradicated her coyote problem!

Back
Top Bottom