Fox problems...how do I kill this thing??

Get on top of your coop with a rifle. Wait. Shoot. It takes a lot of patience. You can use a predator call or play a predator call recording.
Another way to do it is the leg hold traps. You need to boil the traps to get all human scent off of them. Hang your boots, gloves, and cloths your going to wear wile setting the traps outside for a day or 2. Go out side your property line or fence line and set your traps. Dig a shallow hole, place the bait in a hole, (Id use chicken meat from the birds they killed), place the set trap on top of the bait, sprinkle fine dirt on top of the bait. put some leaves and very small twigs on the trap to conceal it. Make sure your trap is secure to something or pinned to the ground. When the fox digs for the bait, you got him. Make sure you check your traps every morning before the sun comes up. These traps hurt and its not right to leave any animal to suffer. When you see you have trapped a fox, shot him in the head.
These traps are indiscriminate and there is a possibility of trapping someones cat of dog. If this happens you need a heavy jacket or blanket to throw over them to release the trap. I trapped coons back in the 70's. in 2 years of trapping I only caught 1 domestic animal, But it made me feel bad for the Beagle. The trap didn't break ihs skin on its foot and it ran home. These traps work well, but they do come with some risks you may not be willing to take.

I trap predators, and this is exactly how not to catch a coyote or fox. Of course, there are some stupid ones around. Go to youtube.com and type in dirt hole set for coyotes and fox. The man here, that pre-baited his trap for several days, did as he should. This is a sure enough method with live traps. If you use the dirt hole set, for leg hold traps, you can also dig your hole, and throw your bait down in it, but never set a trap. Get them use to finding a snack at the botton of a hole. Then, start setting the traps in front of the hole. Put your trap bed in about 4-6" in front of the hole. Cover your pan and trip arm with wax paper and sift dry dirt over the top. Make sure your trap is solid, and does not rock, before you cover it.

Last edited:
design your fence project. break it up into small sections and each month purchase your set amount of fence materials. I could never afford to buy all the fencing we have put up over the years. You want free range get a section of electric fencing that can move with your chickens to different areas. The other option is a livestock guardian dog. They will need training with the birds they not bred for birds , mine have done well (contain, restrict, supervise until they mature. is a long term project. The dog will need a fenced area as some LGD's will learn to roam the barking is a huge deterrent. some thing to consider. You will spend years fighting off these foxes anyway.. long term investments will pay for themselves

My neighbor, who has kept chickens for years told me to buy wolf urine granules. We had a fox hanging around our yard for two weeks straight. I bought some and scattered them around the coop and run. I have no idea if it worked or was a coincidence but the fox never came back and I haven't seen a possum near the coop either. I bought it off amazon.
It hasn't scared off the neighbors dog though.

This can be a great deterrent, but when it rains, it washes the effectiveness away.
You'll be having to reapply it quite a bit if the area you live in gets a good amount of rain.

This can be a great deterrent, but when it rains, it washes the effectiveness away.
You'll be having to reapply it quite a bit if the area you live in gets a good amount of rain.

Yep, I bought a good size container for about $15, and have had it for almost a year now. I do sprinkle it around again after it rains.

I trap predators, and this is exactly how not to catch a coyote or fox. Of course, there are some stupid ones around. Go to youtube.com and type in dirt hole set for coyotes and fox. The man here, that pre-baited his trap for several days, did as he should. This is a sure enough method with live traps. If you use the dirt hole set, for leg hold traps, you can also dig your hole, and throw your bait down in it, but never set a trap. Get them use to finding a snack at the botton of a hole. Then, start setting the traps in front of the hole. Put your trap bed in about 4-6" in front of the hole. Cover your pan and trip arm with wax paper and sift dry dirt over the top. Make sure your trap is solid, and does not rock, before you cover it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...i-kill-this-thing.669105/page-2#post-21696110

I did the same thing. I let my killer fox get used to going into the live traps and then set them and caught the fox. I have used leg traps and put the bird out that the fox had killed and when it came back for the bird I caught it. I did the same thing with a bobcat that had killed a bunch of my birds.
IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_3312.JPG

Back
Top Bottom