FOX saga; NEW PICS p.2, WAS:Help with leg-hold traps

Well, he's getting bolder and bolder. We just downloaded the pics from last night, and this fox was around practically all night long. Here are some samples, from each of the two cameras we had set up--one cam is facing the chicken pen, and the other is kind of the view *from* the pen, toward our shop building. Note the time-stamps at bottom of each pic.

2594319014_3d4a75ba1f.jpg

2593480855_eef79e599c.jpg

2593481531_6b6cdbd055.jpg

Tonight, we not only have our motion alarms on, but Alex has rigged up one of our phones to act as a long-range intercom. We can clearly hear the birds vocalizing right now, so we should definitely hear any ruckus, plus the motion-sensor will trip first. *fingers crossed*

Oh, yeah--if anyone has any ideas about holding this guy off for another night or two, I'd be happy to hear them. We *think* we have all our bases covered, but we've thought that before...

Quote:
An earlier poster linked to that very good website--thanks! Right now, we're waiting to hear from Game & Fish before we take action. And we sleep with all the alarms on!

You wait on Fish & Game you might not have any chickens left. Not knowing how close your neighbors are I can't tell you what to do. Here I have two very goods friends that take care of critters like that, Smith & Wesson. They haven't let me down yet. Than again my closest neighbor is a good distance off. In the winter once all the leaves are off we can now see 8 lights on houses. Double the amount since we moved in. Getting crowded almost time to move. Over the years I have had many predators and pest, but the worst of the lot is city folk.

Unfortunately, our neighbors on that side JUST built their new house about 100 feet from our chicken yard...and they don't exactly mind their own business. That's just one of the reasons we're crossing our t's and dotting our i's. (They're going to be THRILLED when Alex raises the turkey pen next weekend, I'm sure!)

Foxy was back last night, but he didn't skulk around like he did the night before. We do have one picture of him where he looks to be posing for the camera. So far, it appears that the electric fence is holding him off. I may bait it with something just to drive home that lesson.

I am going through the exact same thing you are. We have lost 6 guineas, 5 ducks, and 12 chickens in 1 month. The fox comes out in broad daylight, and although I have a gun in every window, MIL doesn't know how to fire one and I am ususally at work. So I went to Cabelas and bought a caller and am sitting in my tree stand in the lower field with the caller to wait. I am also taking 4 6 weekd old dark cornish roosters that are going to auction and rigged up a temp pen to hold them in the field while am sitting to help entice the fox. You can bet he won't get close enough to harm a feather!

Can you put hot-wire around your pens? I swear, it has made a world of difference for us. The only reason this fox ever got any of our birds, the reason it's still hanging around, is because of MY negligence in leaving the chooks' door open one night. I thought hubby had closed it; he thought I had. Now, we're paranoid about it, and even our 5-year-old daughter asks, before she goes to bed (which is before dark), "DID YOU PUT THE CHICKENS TO BED?"

Back
Top Bottom