PLEASE HELP: What killed almost my whole flock? 17 dead.. :( (WARNING: GRAPHIC)

I wouldn't advocate animal cruelty just for the sake of being cruel but if it is only option you have to remove a threat to your flock then how you dispatch them becomes less important in my opinion. As long as you are removing the treat in the quickest and most feasible option for your situation then I wouldn't judge anyone for that. If there's a concern of laws and legality well, if you don't advertise the deed and how you got rid of it to anyone then who's to know. Catching them and releasing them somewhere else just makes them someone else problem. Once they learn they can get good eats around humans they won't stop and if you don't stop them they become less and less afraid of humans.
This article claims a raccoon will travel up to 10 miles to get back - and also that you could potentially be in violation if you release it somewhere else. There is more good info here for anyone curious.

https://humaneraccoonremoval.org/re...e great difficulty,away from the capture site.

Suggestions on how to get rid of the raccoons? And any specific cameras that i should consider?
I use a leg trap 1 1/2 when I get a problem coon. Then kill them. A live trap can be used, but you will prolly have to kill it. Lot of places will not want you to relocate. Check your laws.
Can fill up a garbage can with water and take live trap with coon and just drown it.

I also have shot them, sit and wait for them.

Prolly was pack or family pack of coon as they will travel in packs, they will also travel solo.

Coon will eat a whole bird feathers and all. They do like to eat the heads. If they have time might be lucky and find parts of the wings.

As said coon will undo locks and can be relentless. Coons can also cause damage. They will keep coming back.
A decent camera prolly 30 to 60 dollars anymore bout all you need, just depends on if you want the extras, bells and whistles.

Sorry for your loss. I have been there lost over 25 3 years ago.

I am sorry that this happened to your flock. I am talking to my wife about beefing up our security. Living in the city, I have never seen raccoons in our neighborhood but since they are nocturnal, I suppose that they could be around. I certainly see enough dead raccoons on the highways in my state.
They are mostly nocturnal, but they will move in the day depending on how hungry and food source.

Raccoons are fascinating. Their dexterity amazes me. That being said, we dispose of problem animals. One thing that has helped reduce coop break-ins here is the strand of electric fence we have around the run, 2’ up from the bottom. I’m sure is has discouraged nosey predators. It has also taught my dog and a visiting dog not to be nosing around the coops. (My dog doesn’t harass the chickens, he was just snuffling around. The visitor, however, really wanted to get in and play with the self-propelled squeaky toys.) Electric fence is your friend when it comes to protecting your flock.

Raccoons are fascinating. Their dexterity amazes me. That being said, we dispose of problem animals. One thing that has helped reduce coop break-ins here is the strand of electric fence we have around the run, 2’ up from the bottom. I’m sure is has discouraged nosey predators. It has also taught my dog and a visiting dog not to be nosing around the coops. (My dog doesn’t harass the chickens, he was just snuffling around. The visitor, however, really wanted to get in and play with the self-propelled squeaky toys.) Electric fence is your friend when it comes to protecting your flock.
Raccoons are quite a animal. there is a video on youtube with a guy putting treats in boxes with locks. The coons do all his boxes except one. Take them awhile at times. Also it is the video or article I read a year later they remember how to get the lock undone.

They climb, grab, pull, chew, dig very resourceful. And yet relentless and determined.

I have a predator proof coop & run with a perimeter fence where my chickens free range now .Attaching chicken wire all along the bottom of the perimeter fence & running a couple strands of electric fence now. My leghorns will probably fly over it...

Back
Top Bottom