Fox Squirrel, Red-tailed Hawk and Two Dogs

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
This morning we had some interesting drama starting near the edge of where flock free-range forages during the production season. A relatively large oak bearing mast is out in the middle of pasture and is barely inside the 5 acre area young birds wander looking for eats. A Fox Squirrel was out collecting acorns under the nose of a Red-tailed Hawk while the dogs sat in yard watching whole drama play out. The male dog was making the low warning woof sounds which originally got my attention, Initially I was not aware a squirrel was involved as dogs generally run hawks off when they come in. I saw the hawk fall about 15 feet to ground and dogs bolted the 150 yards or so after the hawk as it struggled with is catch on the ground. Just before the dogs got to the scene which was only seconds, the hawk flew up and away and male dog stole the hawks catch. Scoob gave his booty a quick shake then trotted back to the house where I could actually see what it was. He brought the critter back, went through dog door and hopped up on bed to eat it. My wife then intervened. No one was particularly happy in the end.

This morning we had some interesting drama starting near the edge of where flock free-range forages during the production season. A relatively large oak bearing mast is out in the middle of pasture and is barely inside the 5 acre area young birds wander looking for eats. A Fox Squirrel was out collecting acorns under the nose of a Red-tailed Hawk while the dogs sat in yard watching whole drama play out. The male dog was making the low warning woof sounds which originally got my attention, Initially I was not aware a squirrel was involved as dogs generally run hawks off when they come in. I saw the hawk fall about 15 feet to ground and dogs bolted the 150 yards or so after the hawk as it struggled with is catch on the ground. Just before the dogs got to the scene which was only seconds, the hawk flew up and away and male dog stole the hawks catch. Scoob gave his booty a quick shake then trotted back to the house where I could actually see what it was. He brought the critter back, went through dog door and hopped up on bed to eat it. My wife then intervened. No one was particularly happy in the end.

I feel you! The other day, the cat told us we had a mouse in the house. Well, that night I was awoken by an insane cat running all over the bed! I had a feeling but saw nothing. The next afternoon, I'm on the bed, on the computer, on BYC and here is the cat with a live mouse! She jumped off, with the mouse, and took it under the bed. It got stuck finally between two boxes. That's when I cranked it with a fire poker. No body was happy with that ending either!
fl.gif

My cats like to leave chipmunk heads around. They are barn cats so it's not so bad, but when I step on something and it crunches, I am not too happy(my new shoes!!!)

Last edited:
Yes, Scoob and Lucy still have access to house although wife does grumble. They are outside most of the time especially at night. This time of year I get into trouble with dogs tracking dirt into house. Will soon have trouble with chickens slipping in once in a while because kids leave door ajar. When harem master comes in he does battle with ground level mirror below coffee table upstairs or with stainless steel trash can in the kitchen.

We have multiple cats as well adding to measurably to mess. Two kids still handily the biggest mess makers. This year eldest will begin helping with predator management.

Back
Top Bottom