Foxes and Electric Fencing? Help PLEASE!

50,000 volts?!? I wish!! Ours is only 7,000. Where can I get a game camera? Would TSC or Cabelas sell something useful? Or maybe Amazon? We live in a residential suburb of Hartford, so there isn't a ton of shopping options when it comes to hunting/farming gear close by.

Cabelas will have them...get ready for sticker shock, though!!
barnie.gif

Is your electric fencing on the inside of the gate? because foxes and most other animals could easily jump over that gate and it looks like that's a large span they don't have to touch, your problem might be as simple as moving the wire to the outside with a gate kit. We just have one hot wire across the gate because the run is covered. (they sniff it and zap). Ours is higher voltage to keep out bears, so far so good! http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/game-cameras has good quality game cameras that can be set to take video and or stills night or day, we spent probably 60$ and it works great! You just take the SD card out and put it your computer or SD card reader. battery operated, good luck!

HI all, This is quite a pickle trying to research and figure this out too, because some keepers who free range large flocks or otherwise, have a desensitivity to some predation. Being a perfectionist and a soft hearted soul, and see "where every sparrow falls"(dear god may I never change) I want to protect my small flock of pet egg layers and bantams.

But I can't relax. Too many raccoon, weasel stories, grirls are locked in coop by dark, coop inside 6 ft 10x10 chain link, mesh cover for hawks and owls of garden mesh (like snow fence) 2 strands of + electric low.

Next I will make a new door that fits inside a frame...no jiggle or wiggle room(like I have now) and ... add a - + 2 wire config at the top and maybe across the top to foil jumping foxes, cats and daytime hawks and owls.

Of coursed this whole thing looks like an abomination on my rural little property, but I need to sit with chickens I discovered the "peace". lol

I could move the coop into the garage for sleeping...another option.

Whew

Thoughts? Real Life Experiences?

I surely appreciate your time.
-A

HI all, This is quite a pickle trying to research and figure this out too, because some keepers who free range large flocks or otherwise, have a desensitivity to some predation. Being a perfectionist and a soft hearted soul, and see "where every sparrow falls"(dear god may I never change) I want to protect my small flock of pet egg layers and bantams.

But I can't relax. Too many raccoon, weasel stories, grirls are locked in coop by dark, coop inside 6 ft 10x10 chain link, mesh cover for hawks and owls of garden mesh (like snow fence) 2 strands of + electric low.

Next I will make a new door that fits inside a frame...no jiggle or wiggle room(like I have now) and ... add a - + 2 wire config at the top and maybe across the top to foil jumping foxes, cats and daytime hawks and owls.

Of coursed this whole thing looks like an abomination on my rural little property, but I need to sit with chickens I discovered the "peace". lol

Whew

-A

Here's a picture of our coop and run. Plenty of room for the chickens and for us to sit inside with them. We no longer let our chickens free range because of serious bobcat issues in our area. We have had no problems with predators getting inside to our chickens(knocking on wood) for the 3 years we have had them. We used 1/2" hardware cloth on all openings of the coop and run.

Whew

-A
And here's some pics of my setup. I do not free-range, and my girls are happy. To attain a predator-proof setup you must use nothing less than 1/2" hardware cloth...everywhere.

(Run is now 'wrapped' in plastic greenhouse sheeting for the winter)

I wish you all the very best!!
frow.gif

Thank you for the tips!

I love the look of the coop and run you have.

I would love the hardware cloth round the outside of the current chain link, but could it possibly be overkill?

Not too many posts regarding experience with electric and weak areas to help me with considering.

I did acquire some lovely flat pallets (free!) that are on the back burner for a sweet coop and run tractor. i have 17 38" x 38" of them. :) I was the winning bid, lol. I will use for an A frame tractor with coop, also electrified, its my best defense for mobility.

I just can't lose any to hawks during the day. "Those are my chickens, go get a squirrel"! It would be my fault. I don't have it in me to calculate loss from lack of care.

I see you from your green house wrap, and tight coop and run that you have those instincts also.

-A

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom