Foxes from HELL

Rangely

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Fort Collins
I started keeping chickens about a year ago and have lost 16 hens to foxes.

My 1st set-up:
3'X4' coop w/attached 4'X12' run.
All chicken wire 4" below ground.

I thought I had a fairly secure set-up.
Foxes ripped the chicken wire right out of the ground. Got in and got three pullets.

So I dug up all the wire and re-burried it, this time using tent stakes every 8"!
Entire coop/run surrounded by railroad ties.
Railroad ties surrounded by 70-80 4"-6" river rock.

Let's see them get through that right?
The little buggers tunneled under the whole set-up. They dug a hole big enough and deep enough to drag a deer through. They slaughtered and stole all 11 hens in the coop in one night while the family was camping on Father's Day. Happy Father's Day right?

So I built a new coop.
8'X3' food & water inside. Locking doors. Since we allow them to free range during the day, I got rid of the run all together.
Also installed a 6' cedar fence around the area of the yard where the foxes were getting in.

This morning, I here a ruckus and go outside to find a fox, hen in mouth, trying to go over a 6' cedar fence. So I yell and chase him out of the yard, whilst in my underwear (27 degrees).
He dropped the bird in order to get over the fence. Of course she was dead. Best layer too. Hadn't missed a day in months!
Fresh chicken for dinner tonight.

If I have foxes that are willing and capable of going over 6' fences and tunneling holes that are 3' long and 2' deep, maybe I should just call it quits. Although, I could just lay land mines around the perimeter of the property!!!!

Suggestions?

My first vote is a 17hmr. If you are not wanting to shoot it or can not due to town rules. Then I vote an electric fence. Also I dont think you had the wire burried deep enough, from everything I have read its 14-18 inches or deeper. Im sorry you are having troubles. Hope you get it fixed.

Electric fencing....
thumbsup.gif

Sorry for your losses.

Last edited:
Good gracious.

the expense you have taken on with those foxes. that is horrible.

WOW.

Are they doing this only at night??? Or do you have day time raids?

If at night only, then I would lock up chickens at night in secure shed. Yup. Like fort knox at night. Allow them access to run during day time and then lock up tight at night.....and it has to be door locked, no ventilation open etc. close to ground, or if you have a window, then welded wire stapled on for closure.

that is the only thing I can think of for protection.

bury wire deeper definitely --electric net wiring or such is good too

you sound like you are in a war and not winning...that is rough.

shoot any fox you can of course. trap also and dispose. (I don't know if you want to do that, but eliminating the problem will help...cause once "those" foxes have a food source, they don't give it up easy)

Last edited:
Forget burying wire. You can see how effective it is. If you want cheap, dig a deep trench around the perimiter and fill it with broken bottles and glass mixed in the dirt. If you have a bit of cash, buy rebar in three to four foot pieces and drive them into the ground every few inches. If you bend the last six inches over after most is in the ground you will be able to get it back out easier if you need to. The problem with the rebar solution is you will likely not be able to drive them in perfectly straight. A bit of divergence may create a gap they can fit through. The foxes won't know where the gap is, so it's blind luck if they find it. Do both, and you may be able to follow the blood trail to their den.

Or, cut a hole in your fence. put a live trap up against the hole, and secure it. If it looks like a weak spot, they will be more likely to explore it as an opportunity. At least you will get one of them. A company called shomer-tek or -tech or some such used to sell 12 ga signals. They were a small blank firing device to alert you to trespassers. If you had one hooked up to a trigger in the trap you could be alerted to the catch, likely scare off the others for a bit, and have an opportunity to be waiting with a "solution" when they return.

Electric fence!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never own chickens again without electric fence wire protection.

It ends up being a whole lot cheaper than build a coop like Fort Knox. And them foxes from hell, they are following their nature, doing exactly what God intended them to do. They have all night to do it, all the dark hours to dig holes, nose into corners, jump fences, all the night long to find your one little weakness.

Two wires one at 6" and another at 9". Nose touches fence, fox hauls buggie.

We had a female fox and her den a couple hundred yards from my yard and chickens. We have three large dogs that get lots of treats for being such good protectors. They even ran off a badger. I guess my suggestion is a dog.

Yes a Great Pyrenees could be a great ldg for your flock. But that will not be a instant fix and you could lose many more of your birds waiting untill your pup reaches its adulthood.

Back
Top Bottom