Foxes testing for weakness on the coop

BaldYeti

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
UK, London
Randomly over the last week or so a fox/es has tried to get into the coop in the garden. They have chewed at the side of the nest box, but only one side so far. Cats have also been around. We like to let the chicks free range while we are around, always being cautious of predators. Does any one have any good tips for defending against predators?

I have reinforced where there is has been visible attacks.

BEFORE
20170617_085059.jpg
20170617_085105.jpg
20170617_085108.jpg
20170617_085118.jpg

AFTER
20170617_172517.jpg
20170617_172540.jpg
20170617_172557.jpg

Line the outside with bricks or bury wire a foot or so deep. We had a fox try to break in as well and this helped. We haven't had a problem with predators and we have three foxes that we know of. Let me know what works for you, I would love to know more tips to keep them safe. Best of luck to you and I love the design of your coop.

Good job!
Looks like Fort Knox.
Appears you are observant and addressing issues great.
I do not live in a region with foxes; however, are there deterrent sprays you could put on coop and surrounding it?

OK I had a problem with a Fox just over 2 years ago and I had pretty much exactly the same coop as u do there. Mine was on concrete slabs they will continue to come back until they break in I lost my entire flock trust me when I say the wire for the pen is no good if they get opportunity they will bust through or lift the roof the little catch wont stop them my husband built a new coop for me with 3x2 wood 16 gauge wire on concrete slabs and steel corrugated roofing

I raised the coop with scaffold boards and all gaps have been covered with wire mesh using nails to secure every 30 cm. I have since raised the run with scaffold boards too using clasps to hold it all down. Wire is the ground might be my next task as that would be the next logical step the fox would take. I also mounted a motion sensor light directed at the coop (only one side though, might invest in a second - solar powered LED motion sensor light from B and M £10). Also reinforced the toggle that holds the nest trays with metal... needs more I know. When I get home I'll take a few more pics.

the motion sensors only deter for so long they work it out the things are total bleeps......
you need really. Strong gauge wire as they are persistent and love chicken supper

If they are famiily pets you can put them in a big bird cage overnight in the garage. Predators can get into most coops when they're determined. Or put the house inside a larger covered run such as the large pet gazebo from advantek, covered with hardware cloth including under the roof.

Hardware cloth is the mesh that is on your run...not sure what it's called in the UK and EU.

Your improvements look pretty good to repair and protect your chewed coop wood,
but the best deterrent against fox would be electric poultry netting all around your coop and runs.

Back
Top Bottom