Foy's Auto Opener for Dummies

SadieSue

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Tacoma, WA
I've purchased the Foy's Auto Opener. I had contacted Foys and asked what I needed to purchase and was told the Doorkeeper and door was all I needed since I don't have electric to the coop and didn't need for the doors to open at a certain time. I just wanted something to open the door with a light sensor.

I am not mechanical and neither is DH. He is opening the box and is asking me "What actually opens the door?" "Do I have to take this box, {the doorkeeper) apart?" I cannot answer these questions for him. As I'm looking at the Foy's site now it appears that I needed to purchase the pulley system separately, is that correct? I feel like a total dumbhead, but even my husband can't figure out from the instructions what is actually opening and closing the door.

I need help. Simple answers in black and white. And please speak slowly.
Thank you!

No, no, no, no, no. Relax.
smile.png

The pulley system they show to order is for replacement parts!

The pulley system is in the plastic case. If there were no installation instructions in the box, go to this page and download them: http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/2100-2107.html

The
instructions look a little complicated, but the basics are:
Put the door in the tracks and against the wall to measure where you want it. Screw down the brackets. Take the door out of the tracks.
Cut the opening for the door, inside the tracks.
Screw the case where you want it above the tracks (this involves some measuring and stuff, making sure the door will drop to the bottom of the tracks where there is a stop for it, and you haven't cut out too much of a hole above the top edge of the lowered door panel - which *I* did for my first installation. Just had to nail a top board over the extra space, later...)

Without the batteries in, unspool the cord and attach it to the door. (I used a heavy duty paper clip because I lost the metal hook.) make sue the light sensor cord, if that's what you're using, is attached. Put in the batteries.... See if the door is pulled up by the pulley inside the case.

If it is, voilà! Put the case cover on. You're done!
41679_autodoor.jpg

Last edited:
I'll give you a quick answer. Maybe an expert will reply later with a good answer. You shouldn't need a pulley if the control box is placed right above the door. There is a string that is wound around the axle inside the unit and comes out of the small hole at the bottom. The little metal clip at the end of the string is attached to the top of your door (I have a wire,like that on the back of a picture frame, on the top of my door, and I clip the string to this.) It really works very well and you will love it!

Let me know if you need a photo.

Whew! Thanks you guys. I'm printing out your answers to give DH and his buddies. Fingers crossed we should be able to get this done. Much appreciation. I will post photos when all is complete. What a day for celebration that will be!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom