framing questions

TaylorC

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Fort Collins
I'm making a 6'x6' coop, shed roof 5' high on one side, 4' high on the other.
1) Do I need a double top-plate, or can I just do one 2x4 across the top of the straight walls?
2) Will the end rafters serve as a top plate on the slant or do I need a "real one?"
3) Would it be better to frame it all 4' high and then use cripple studs above the one side to reach 5'?
... or something else I'm not thinking of. All the framing I've done has been under direction.
Thanks!

wow...I built my own coop..and I don't know what half that means...
idunno.gif

ok...like 3/4 of it but i was trying to fake it... Mine was taller...I don't fit in 5' places

There's nothing too critical in the design of a 6x6 chicken coop. It's really whatever works for you. A single top plate would be fine. I'd frame one wall at five feet and the rest at four feet, put your rafters in place, and not even worry about studs in the small, triangular gap that is created on two sides. If you don't want eaves on the sides, the sides of the end rafters become your nailing surface for the sheathing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I actually do want eaves, and I need 52" for a louver vent I found, so I can't frame the slant walls at 4' or it won't fit on the far end.
I guess I could put a stud right next to it at four feet, make the rest of that wall at 4 and the opposite wall. I think that will work.
I am probably going overkill, but I'd hate to have the thing sag and warp four years down the road.

Back
Top Bottom