frayed feather (and molting) questions

farmerKEN

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Western Mass
Do feathers turn white or at least fade before they fall out?
Can birds continue to lay every day while molting (moulting?)?
Do feathers usually get frayed well before molting? I really don't think my hens are molting so this is the question Im most interested in

I have three golden comet hens 1 year and 13 weeks. and four white amber-sex-link (and two golden comets) pullets that are 13 weeks. My run and coop have white feathers everywhere. I dont see my older hens picking on the pullets anymore and the pullets don't look beat up or like theyre missing any feathers.
The feathers look like normal outer feathers and the fluffy feathers but they're all white no brown. the comets have brown fluffy butts and brown bodies.

their (the hens) feathers have been really frayed for over a month but their combs are bright red and they lay eggs 7 days a week. they eat 16% layer pellets and 20% crumbles
I thought my pullets were just getting picked on when Im not looking, but its alot of feathers and so maybe not?
There have been feathers all over for a week or two.
my birds certainly dont look like these https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=87512&p=1
frayed pic
IMG_3324.jpg

ETA: I was on the fence whether to put this in myf or cb&el sections. I hope this is the right section

Last edited:
doesnt look like molting....
IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

but dont look beat up....
IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

there are more feathers than it looks like in photos, they get blown to the back corner

I too, would love someone to weigh in on this. My cockerel's tail feathers look all frayed on the ends. He preens himself A LOT. I just wondered if he isn't getting the hooks back together. Hope somebody who knows answers.

The feathers being everywhere could be juvenile molt from the young ones. Mine went through it about that age too
smile.png
tons of feathers and no bald spots.

As far as the freyed feathers go, have y'all checked for bugs or mites? Alot of them actually feed on feathers which can make em look a little rough

Quote:
but you said in your post that there are feathers all over the run, but it doesnt look like anyone is molting. that could be juvenile molt. There are no bald spots but they lose a ton of feathers. this sometimes happens around that age

"I have three golden comet hens 1 year and 13 weeks. and four white amber-sex-link (and two golden comets) pullets that are 13 weeks. My run and coop have white feathers everywhere. I dont see my older hens picking on the pullets anymore and the pullets don't look beat up or like theyre missing any feathers.
The feathers look like normal outer feathers and the fluffy feathers but they're all white no brown. the comets have brown fluffy butts and brown bodies. "

Back
Top Bottom