Freaked out Runners!

I was sooooo excited when Momma Duck, with her most recent hatch, was happy for me to raise her Runner babies. Those ducklings decided that I was the best! -- for a few weeks -- then ..., panic just like all my other adult Runners. I just KNOW that if I worked with them I could win them over again, but it's been lousy and rainy here, for days and weeks and months (okay we finally got some sun but there are chores to catch up on). My husband, who grew up on a farm in Scotland, thinks that most of my crew is incredibly calm, but they aren't -- they really aren't. Well ..., except for the Silkies, who maybe can't see well enough to "RUN FOR THEIR LIVES!".
lol.png

p.s., I talked with a local guy who used to show Runners at our local fairs (really gorgeous ones!). He said he stopped breeding and showing just because they were so high maintenance, personality wise, and changed to other calmer ducks. I still think the Runners are my favorites amd I'm pretty attached to my crew, even if the feeling isn't mutual.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
This is encouraging advise.
Thank you all!
I've only had Muscovies and while they're a little timid as youngsters, they're NOTHING like this!
Tonight while going into thier night time stall to refill their fount and food dish even though I walked very slow they still freaked.
I typically do all that business before putting them in for the night but today I had to put them in early since my husband and I
went out to dinner.
After I was done I observed them from outside of their stall and merely looking at them or wiping my sweaty brow sent them to the corner where they would huddle in utter fear.

Last edited:
Yes, sounds like they need some therapy!

hugs.gif

It was really heartbreaking when mine went through this. We used to sit together on the floor their first three weeks, just relaxing together. A few would sit on my lap, and let me pet them. Then they huddled and screamed, actually sometimes stampeded, with any who tripped, trampled upon (happily, being trampled upon by a duck that weighs less than a pound is not fatal).

So, giving them extra space, staying low, and sharing treats more often, helped quite a bit. Getting older helped, too. They still get buggy if they feel cornered (and, with a case of bumblefoot needing treatment, sometimes I need to seek out and pick up one of them - which essentially can involve cornering, but I work very hard at herding them through a small space and picking up the one I want as she passes by).

I also pray for them and about them every day (figured I better 'fess up to my entire strategy).

Oh, and I sing to them.
hide.gif

Tried the peas today.
I sat quietly in a lawn chair that's in their day pen so they're use to it.
I tossed peas toward them.
All they would do is huddle or set on the far end of the pen until I left.
Its really weird....even when they see me moving around doing chores from
a distance I can see them acting frightened.
roll.png

My infatuation with Runners may be short lived if they don't calm down.
hit.gif

I think they will calm down, all my ducks did that..........runners, harlequins, white layers. I think it's just a phase...........I hope, and you didn't just get skittery ones. Give it some time, I remember it took weeks for mine to settle down........I can't remember exactly, but I am thinking 3-4 months old before they started relaxing. I forget who wrote it here, but putting peas in a big bowl of water every night at the same time will make them come to you. I have a whole cleaning and feeding routine at night, and they all know now, that when I dump the kiddie pool and put the hose in it to fill it up, they all start lining up, because they know the peas are next! I put them in a bowl and just sit there, and they all come to me or they get no peas.......unless they are sitting on a nest, then I will take peas to them!
smile.png

I know it will take time but man these guys are psycho!
roll.png

I can be 100 ft. away and when they see me I can see them start getting anxious.
Its just seems odd that they were so calm and now like this for no apparent reason.
I'm the same way with my birds...same routine everytime I do chores.

My larger group of Kahkis and Pekins are still in this phase, like I said earlier, and I know what you mean. I will be on the drive, a good 50 ft away and outside of the fenced area, and they get all tense. It will pass. It does seem like they are so terrified that they are going to hurt themselves getting away from you. That is the part that bothers me. I don't feel slighted that they go through this, just worried that they will all crowd together too much, or will hurt their legs, something like that. I take it geese don't go through this phase? That would be a relief.
hugs.gif
They'll get better. Give them lots of time...
smile.png

My runners are almost 8 weeks old. They too are terrified. They are getting better though. They are happy to see me when I am outside there pen. They see me near the door and they get nervous. If I'm in and go near there pool............ off they go trampling each other to get behind there duck coop or in the far corner of the pen. If you wait a minute or two one will poke its little head out to see where I am. If I'm spotted the chatter begins.

If they seem me with some goodiess they think twice about running away. Like I said, they are getting better..... LOL. Just not as fast as I would like.

My runner ducklings went through the same phase. They outgrew it. Another batch was raised with some young goslings, and the goslings were more relaxed and helped keep the runners calmer. You might try mixing them with some scovies of a similar size.

The adults will follow me around and the hens will crawl in my lap- and I did NOT raise them as pets or train them to do this. They know who brings the feed, and ever since they had to 'diet' for a show they seem to appreciate their food even more.

A runner duck I gave to a friend took to looking in her front windows until she would come out.

Back
Top Bottom