Freaky Freddie

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
One of our three hens (Fred) is acting strangely. She is about 30 weeks old, has yet to lay her first egg (although her barnyard mix sister has been laying for weeks). She has stopped going into the coop in the evenings with the other 2, and isn't roosting at all anymore. She prefers to sleep in one of the nesting boxes at night. Doesn't appear to be egg bound (vent and butt feathers look ok, pooping fine, good energy level, not panting or appearing uncomfortable). Good appetite, drinking lots of water, dirtbathing etc. Any thoughts?

One of our three hens (Fred) is acting strangely. She is about 30 weeks old, has yet to lay her first egg (although her barnyard mix sister has been laying for weeks). She has stopped going into the coop in the evenings with the other 2, and isn't roosting at all anymore. She prefers to sleep in one of the nesting boxes at night. Doesn't appear to be egg bound (vent and butt feathers look ok, pooping fine, good energy level, not panting or appearing uncomfortable). Good appetite, drinking lots of water, dirtbathing etc. Any thoughts?
As long as she has no symptoms of anything wrong, some chickens just prefer to sleep in a nest box for whatever reason. Are they getting layer feed and some oyster shell in a separate dish? Just checking regarding her failure to lay an egg yet.

What breed is she? We have silkies and about 4 of 14 will sleep in the nest boxes so I put horse bedding pellets in there so the eggs wouldn't get poop on them. It didn't discourage them from sleeping there and the eggs stay clean.

It's possibile she's trying to lay an shell-less egg. My 2 sisters laid their first eggs weeks apart and the one that was late started with an shell-less egg. Then she laid normaly. Try to boost her calcium and vitamin D levels. First egg is sometimes hard to pass.

One of mine (an adult) started sleeping in the nesting box recently and I am fairly certain it is because she is molting. a long slow molt and I think she just wants to be left alone. But not sure if hens molt at the age that yours are? I forget!

As long as she has no symptoms of anything wrong, some chickens just prefer to sleep in a nest box for whatever reason. Are they getting layer feed and some oyster shell in a separate dish? Just checking regarding her failure to lay an egg yet.

What breed is she? We have silkies and about 4 of 14 will sleep in the nest boxes so I put horse bedding pellets in there so the eggs wouldn't get poop on them. It didn't discourage them from sleeping there and the eggs stay clean.
I have them all on layer feed but picked up the oyster shells because I was worried Fred would get too much calcium and hurt her kidneys. Is it safe to add back?

I have them all on layer feed but picked up the oyster shells because I was worried Fred would get too much calcium and hurt her kidneys. Is it safe to add back?
It's why we put oyster shells in a separate container. They won't eat them if they don't need calcium, but will eat them if they do.

Strangely, now and then my rooster will peck a few. Beats me why he thinks HE needs calcium as he's eating 50% layer/50% all flock. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom