Free Awesome Roo!!

simplyadrianne

Hatching
Jun 12, 2023
I am a new chicken owner and my daughter and I have 10 to start (yes, I know chicken math!) and 9 are hens with one of our favorites being a rooster. Speckles is awesome, 4 months old, very sweet, but we are NOT keeping a rooster. The spurs I am not equipped as a newbie to handle, nor do we want to have the continued harassment to our hens (he is VERY persistent!) I wish our local Family Farm and Home had done a better job of "sexing" their chicks and we didn't have this issue, but we do! He is a sweetie with us, rides the scooter with my daughter, and is a total personality, but we need to re-home him! Please, no interest if you eat them, we want him to go to a good home where he can be a rooster!!
If interested and local, please let me know!
Thank you!

Welcome to BYC. :frow

Here are some re-homing tips for roosters. So this website has a specific forum for it here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

I am guessing that this will work better if you are in a populated area, because it will be more likely that other BYC members will also live there.

There also are state pages like Sourland said. If you tell us your state we can direct you to it, and you can post there.

I have used craigslist with pretty great results. That seems to work better in rural areas since there are usually more folks looking for roosters, but not always.

There is something called Front Porch Forum in Vermont, which is basically a listserve for each town to post announcements. I have actually had people pay me for roosters on there, just $5-10, but still something. There are some other neighborhood forums I have heard of (like nextdoor.com). Maybe a web search for "neighborhood forums in [wherever you live]" may yield some results.

Also, you could just keep him in a separate enclosure where he can see the rest of the flock, but not interact too much until he has grown up some. Any rooster will be kind of obnoxious when they are that young, but they often get better.

Good luck!

I am a new chicken owner and my daughter and I have 10 to start (yes, I know chicken math!) and 9 are hens with one of our favorites being a rooster. Speckles is awesome, 4 months old, very sweet, but we are NOT keeping a rooster. The spurs I am not equipped as a newbie to handle, nor do we want to have the continued harassment to our hens (he is VERY persistent!) I wish our local Family Farm and Home had done a better job of "sexing" their chicks and we didn't have this issue, but we do! He is a sweetie with us, rides the scooter with my daughter, and is a total personality, but we need to re-home him! Please, no interest if you eat them, we want him to go to a good home where he can be a rooster!!
If interested and local, please let me know!
Thank you!
Where are you located? What breed is he?

Welcome to BYC. :frow

Here are some re-homing tips for roosters. So this website has a specific forum for it here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

I am guessing that this will work better if you are in a populated area, because it will be more likely that other BYC members will also live there.

There also are state pages like Sourland said. If you tell us your state we can direct you to it, and you can post there.

I have used craigslist with pretty great results. That seems to work better in rural areas since there are usually more folks looking for roosters, but not always.

There is something called Front Porch Forum in Vermont, which is basically a listserve for each town to post announcements. I have actually had people pay me for roosters on there, just $5-10, but still something. There are some other neighborhood forums I have heard of (like nextdoor.com). Maybe a web search for "neighborhood forums in [wherever you live]" may yield some results.

Also, you could just keep him in a separate enclosure where he can see the rest of the flock, but not interact too much until he has grown up some. Any rooster will be kind of obnoxious when they are that young, but they often get better.

Good luck!
Awesome information!! Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom