Free flying?

Chickenma2021

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I recently got a pigeon, however I'm scared that hes gonna be bored or unhappy in its enclosure. Is it cruel to keep a pigeon in an enclosure rather than free flying? Keep in mind that I can stand up without touching the roof and its around 13 x 13 (feet) I have put extra roosts and entertainment in there but I'm still not sure if I should keep him in there forever. I was also thinking of getting a harness before I make a decision.

Can someone with pigeon experience help me and give some advice?

forgot to add that this enclosure is temporary and him and his friend will have a different enclosure once I sort everything out >>

Is the enclosure outside? Pigeons are flock animals, so they either need to be kept inside with daily human interaction or they need at least one other pigeon for company. Pigeons can live outside in an aviary without free flight and be perfectly happy, as long as they have a pigeon companion.

I have flock of rescued pigeons who live in a closed aviary, and I decided to harness train the tamest one for fun and extra enrichment. I have no intentions of actually doing free flight, though, due to the risks involved (especially for a smaller number of birds).
C8BA350C-F8EF-4217-B9B6-8244B30AFDAC.jpeg

Definitely not cruel at all. Overall I would say that companionship to a pigeon is far more important than free flight, so it’s great to hear you’ll be getting more!
13x13 sounds like a great space

Back
Top Bottom