Getting pigeons

Cassandragrenr

Songster
Jul 15, 2022
Sweden, södermanland
Hello! I'm getting 6-8 pigeons soon, and of course, I have a bunch of questions (I'm doing research, though I think byc is the best way to get proper and good research!)
These pigeons will be allowed to free fly, racing pigeons.
Though, what should a pigeon enclosure/coop look like? I want to get them a run too during the time they're not allowed outside to free fly, is it necessary? (I'm buying adult racing pigeons, so they'll be in their home for a month or so. If this is wrong please tell me)

What should nest boxes look like?
Do pigeons always roost on roosting bars? (I know, it's a stupid question but I've seen so many pigeons just sleep on their floor?)
Any special enrichment I could use to keep them happy during this period?

Do peacock pigeons fly? (Another stupid question...)
That's all! :loveAll advice is appreciated!

Hello! I'm getting 6-8 pigeons soon, and of course, I have a bunch of questions (I'm doing research, though I think byc is the best way to get proper and good research!)
Though, what should a pigeon enclosure/coop look like? I want to get them a run too during the time they're not allowed outside to free fly, is it necessary? (I'm buying adult racing pigeons, so they'll be in their home for a month or so. If this is wrong please tell me)

Do pigeons always roost on roosting bars? (I know, it's a stupid question but I've seen so many pigeons just sleep on their floor?)

Can i use sand as flooring/bedding?? I see people use it to clean chicken droppings, but would it be okay for pigeons?

What is their diet? And what are good healthy treats?

What can they not eat?

I now see that they don't perch, sorry!!

I've read that most fantail pigeons CAN fly but depending on your breed prefer not to or at least not far. I've read from more than one place that silky fantail pigeons can't fly due to their lacy feathers but I have no experience myself.

It's not wrong to keep your pigeons in their home, mine are closed in an aviary full time (no free flight). My aviary is sort of constructed like a coop and run, with a sheltered, closed off "coop" section to protect them from the elements and a "run" section covered in hardware cloth.

If you get adult racing/homing pigeons they have a good chance of going back to their original loft if free flown.

I use chicken nest boxes, dog bowls, and ceramic plates for pigeon nests.

My pigeons always perch on roosting bars to sleep. They prefer flat/square perches over round ones.

Can i use sand as flooring/bedding?? I see people use it to clean chicken droppings, but would it be okay for pigeons?

What is their diet? And what are good healthy treats?

What can they not eat?
Yes, you can use sand. Pigeons should be primarily fed a blend of seeds. Some people give them vegetables, such as lettuce or tomatoes, as treats.

Back
Top Bottom