Sudden Death with Pigeon

nataliegrinks

Songster
6 Years
Feb 10, 2017
Good evening everyone,
I will try to keep this short. My pigeons are treated for worms every few months because starlings get in our barn and some free fly. A few months back some pigeons had worms. I treated them with MoxiVet plus. A couple pigeons had continuing issues either due to the worms or something else. So, last night I noticed one that had been having a hard time previously, but had since been doing well fairly puffed up. I made a note to check him out in the morning. This morning he was dead. I couldn’t tell what happened. He was face down in the corner wings slightly relaxed. He had white cloudy mucus in his mouth. Quite a bit. I’ve not seen that before. Is it a symptom of doming other than a respiratory infection? I want to know how to treat his mate and possibly everyone else. Thank you so much for your time.

Good evening everyone,
I will try to keep this short. My pigeons are treated for worms every few months because starlings get in our barn and some free fly. A few months back some pigeons had worms. I treated them with MoxiVet plus. A couple pigeons had continuing issues either due to the worms or something else. So, last night I noticed one that had been having a hard time previously, but had since been doing well fairly puffed up. I made a note to check him out in the morning. This morning he was dead. I couldn’t tell what happened. He was face down in the corner wings slightly relaxed. He had white cloudy mucus in his mouth. Quite a bit. I’ve not seen that before. Is it a symptom of doming other than a respiratory infection? I want to know how to treat his mate and possibly everyone else. Thank you so much for your time.
So sorry for your loss. Wild birds can spread a host of diseases that can be deadly to our feathered friends.

Sometimes birds poisoned by something like a chemical lawn fertilizer, etc. will expel liquid from their stomach or crops out their mouth.

I am not familiar with MoxiVet, but were you sure dosage was right? I looked it up and it says Pigeons: 5mL (5 CC’s) /L (19 CC’s / US gal.) If worms are continuing, can you try a different dewormer? Some worms become "immune" and you may have to alternate what you're using.

Could it be too much oyster shell?

If it was a respiratory infection, you should see other symptoms such as lethargy, watery or bubbling in the eyes, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose, etc.

Sorry, it's just a guessing game with what happened to him. I would alternate probiotic water one day, vitamin water the next, then regular water, and repeat, to your others as those will help if they're fighting something or having something going on in their gut.

I hope the rest stay healthy, and again, sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss. Wild birds can spread a host of diseases that can be deadly to our feathered friends.

Sometimes birds poisoned by something like a chemical lawn fertilizer, etc. will expel liquid from their stomach or crops out their mouth.

I am not familiar with MoxiVet, but were you sure dosage was right? I looked it up and it says Pigeons: 5mL (5 CC’s) /L (19 CC’s / US gal.) If worms are continuing, can you try a different dewormer? Some worms become "immune" and you may have to alternate what you're using.

Could it be too much oyster shell?

If it was a respiratory infection, you should see other symptoms such as lethargy, watery or bubbling in the eyes, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose, etc.

Sorry, it's just a guessing game with what happened to him. I would alternate probiotic water one day, vitamin water the next, then regular water, and repeat, to your others as those will help if they're fighting something or having something going on in their gut.

I hope the rest stay healthy, and again, sorry for your loss.
Thanks so much!
Definitely dosed it correctly, but it’s in the water so some may get more than others. I’ve had great success with it. Seems to be gentle on them as well. I had thought he had worms previously and I didn’t catch it in time (been really sick for almost two years🙄) and maybe he had internal damage that never got better. He would hang his wings down a bit. He seemed better so it was a little surprising. I hadn’t heard that about poisons so that’s good to know. It is a guessing game. That’s what sucks about it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom