Emergency pigeon mites treatment help needed

Qwerty3159

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 3, 2017
Rhode Island
Well for the first time in about six years of pigeon keeping I finally have mites.
Cleaning the loft out today after being on vacation for ten days and there are hundreds if not thousands of very small reddish brown mites all over the floor. I didn’t see any in perches or nest boxes but that doesn’t mean they’re not there.

I normally treat the loft with a spray called Meyer’s pen and poultry which I’ve seen recommended on here, and I give the individual birds a light spray with it too. So far this has kept lice and mites at bay for years but I believe two new giant runt pigeons I purchased within the last month had a stubborn infestation. I thoroughly manhandled all the pigeons I could catch and inspected vents, under wings, and behind heads. No mites seen on the homers or runt pigeons but I noted a few lice on my giant runts which apparently persisted through the double treatment I did.

How can I be sure these are actually parasitic mites and not just detritivores? I’m thinking I’ll go into the loft at night now that it’s clean with a flashlight and try to see any crawling on or near the birds.
What are the best treatments to use both on the pigeons and the lofts themselves?

Permethrin is good, but spraying the birds is not very effective.. especially when it comes to mites. My suggestion is to buy 10% permethrin concentrate (some place like tractor supply should have it), and take a bucket and make a dip for them. Add 1 ounce permethrin per gallon of water. It's also preferable to mix in a little soap such as dish detergent to help it wet into the feathers more. While wearing rubber gloves hold the birds by the wings and dip them down into the solution (keeping just their heads above the water) and twist your wrist back and forth swooshing them back and forth about 12-15 times. They will look like wet rats but this is exactly what you want... soak them down to the quills as mites stay at the base of the quills where they can then suck blood. This will also eradicate all the lice as spraying doesn't give enough coverage for them either. Be sure to do it on a warm sunny day as you will want them to be in the sun as it will take a long time to fully dry after this treatment. After having dipped the birds you will want to fully clean out the loft and spray the entire interior with the same kind of solution. Ivermectin is also (at least used to be) an effective treatment for mites.

I suggest washing the birds with mite soap, or dusting them, then move them into a different cage, you should then go to where their nests are and spray them with whatever you have for mites and lice, I used Polaris, but I think it’s no longer legal. You may also burn the place in order to kill whatever evil doer is dwelling in your nesting complex.

Permethrin is good, but spraying the birds is not very effective.. especially when it comes to mites. My suggestion is to buy 10% permethrin concentrate (some place like tractor supply should have it), and take a bucket and make a dip for them.
Thank you very much! I have been spraying a .5% spray I got at tractor supply which has reduced the number of mites I see roaming during the day and killed off springtails, earwigs, etc that were hiding underneath the loft.
I will order a 10% concentrate to dip the birds. I tried to get them with the spray but it was pretty difficult. A dip would definitely work better.

@Paz excellent idea, I’ll get a blowtorch today too.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied for your help!

The permethrin concentrate finally came in the other day and I gave everyone a dip. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom