Pigeon Coop Questions

Cupcakekitcat

Hatching
Dec 22, 2023
I have two rescued pigeons I found as squabs. They were abandoned at around 3 weeks old (as in they would leave the nest soon) and I took many steps in confirming they were definitely abandoned. They had constantly empty crops whenever I went to check and were always dangerously cold. They also had no nest, although I have been informed some pigeons don't build them. I also watched the two squabs for a while and I saw no sign of parents or even any other pigeons acknowledging them. I now have two adult pigeons who thankfully did not imprint on me. The two of them live in a small chicken coop that would hold about 2-3 hens (there are no hens in it I do not plan on mixing pigeons with chickens.). The coop was all I had to keep them in between feedings when I took them. Because pigeons home they will not leave their small coop with no fly space. Because of this I "Freerange" them during the day and close up their coop at night to prevent predators. I have not had hawks bother them yet. The pigeons are only confined in the small coop at night but they don't go out at night anyways. Because of these two pigeons I now own I am interesting in getting a few more. The freerange situation I have going right now makes my pigeons very happy and exercised and I am wondering if it is ideal to buy a bigger coop and do the same thing with more pigeons? I would prefer not to build a "proper" loft.

TLDR: I have pigeons freeranging and their loft is actually an empty chicken coop. (Read the full post for more info) Is this ok? I know my pigeons like it. Is it ok if I get another large coop and home more pigeons and freerange them as well.

First,,, WELCOME to BYC and this pigeon forum.
Thank you for rescuing those 2 pigeons. :hugs ,, Now some questions to clarify. Just what do you mean by free ranging??? I kind of understand that you let your pigeons free fly. Am I correct?? In pigeon keepers terms.. that is called LOFT Fly. Pigeons are released from their loft, and allowed to fly around. Then they return back into loft.
Now to your housing.. Whatever you are using to keep them in,, with pigeons, it is usually called/referred to as LOFT. Even though you are using what you have... a small chicken coop.:highfive:
So now to your next question..... Should you get more pigeons??
Plain answer,,,, If you like pigeons,, get more. :yesss:
Next answer to your question about housing.. I suggest you get a larger structure,,, and keep all your pigeons together in one Loft. If you can get another coop, and attach together with the one you already have,,, that would work as well. Have a common area where you place feed and water. Then have one opening that you release all your pigeons from. You should also have a thing called a trap,, to have your pigeons enter back in,,,,, but not be able to leave out.
I could go on forever with suggestions, and Ideas,, but it would be better if you would ask specific questions.
I can explain all you need to know about pigeons, and keeping.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome

First,,, WELCOME to BYC and this pigeon forum.
Thank you for rescuing those 2 pigeons. :hugs ,, Now some questions to clarify. Just what do you mean by free ranging??? I kind of understand that you let your pigeons free fly. Am I correct?? In pigeon keepers terms.. that is called LOFT Fly. Pigeons are released from their loft, and allowed to fly around. Then they return back into loft.
Now to your housing.. Whatever you are using to keep them in,, with pigeons, it is usually called/referred to as LOFT. Even though you are using what you have... a small chicken coop.:highfive:
So now to your next question..... Should you get more pigeons??
Plain answer,,,, If you like pigeons,, get more. :yesss:
Next answer to your question about housing.. I suggest you get a larger structure,,, and keep all your pigeons together in one Loft. If you can get another coop, and attach together with the one you already have,,, that would work as well. Have a common area where you place feed and water. Then have one opening that you release all your pigeons from. You should also have a thing called a trap,, to have your pigeons enter back in,,,,, but not be able to leave out.
I could go on forever with suggestions, and Ideas,, but it would be better if you would ask specific questions.
I can explain all you need to know about pigeons, and keeping.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome
Thank you so much for the wonderful advice! Yes I am Loft flying my pigeons (I didn't know the term thanks for telling me!) I am most likely getting a trap door for them. I was looking online for larger structures to get for more pigeons and I discovered outdoor catios. They are basically these big enclosed areas. With some modifications like, shelter, nesting boxes, and perches I am thinking a modified catio could be a perfect mini loft! All in all it would be an enclosed area to fly with anything a pigeon could want. I would still loft fly them though. Thanks again! If you see this tell me what you think!

Outdoor catio sounds like the ideal thing for you. In pigeon terms , It is referred to as an Aviary. You can install a trap on one of the walls. Easy to build yourself, and all you need to get are the bobs. Can make your own,,, but they are reasonably priced.
1703400760248.png

Here is an example of home made bobs.
1703400932366.png

Important to have a landing platform so pigeons land,,,, and then go thru bobs into the interior of aviary, or loft.
The bobs act as a one way entry with no way to leave,,,, until you raise the bobs to allow exit.

Outdoor catio sounds like the ideal thing for you. In pigeon terms , It is referred to as an Aviary. You can install a trap on one of the walls. Easy to build yourself, and all you need to get are the bobs. Can make your own,,, but they are reasonably priced.
View attachment 3711194
Here is an example of home made bobs.
View attachment 3711195
Important to have a landing platform so pigeons land,,,, and then go thru bobs into the interior of aviary, or loft.
The bobs act as a one way entry with no way to leave,,,, until you raise the bobs to allow exit.
This is amazing advice thank you! I think I have a solid plan now. Have a merry Christmas!

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice! Yes I am Loft flying my pigeons (I didn't know the term thanks for telling me!) I am most likely getting a trap door for them. I was looking online for larger structures to get for more pigeons and I discovered outdoor catios. They are basically these big enclosed areas. With some modifications like, shelter, nesting boxes, and perches I am thinking a modified catio could be a perfect mini loft! All in all it would be an enclosed area to fly with anything a pigeon could want. I would still loft fly them though. Thanks again! If you see this tell me what you think!
I wouldn’t put more than two pigeons in most catios, since they aren’t that big. My closed aviary is a modified dog kennel.

Back
Top Bottom