Pigeon eggs… I was not prepared !

rolohman

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Upstate New York
My Coop
My Coop
So- I wasn’t sure if the young pigeons I bought last September were a boy and a girl or what, but apparently I have one of each! Had our first two eggs and at least one appeared to be fertilized (circle apparent on yolk). I cracked them to check for that, and figured I’d fry them just so they weren’t wasted.

May be no surprise to those of you who know about such things, but I was very confused when the egg whites didn’t turn from transparent to white, like chicken eggs do. They just turned into gelatinous, clear, goop. I found this a bit disturbing, so I turned to uncle Google, and apparently people really LIKE how boiled pigeon eggs stay translucent. I don’t think it is for me, but it was fun to learn that this is actually what they are supposed to look like.

So- I wasn’t sure if the young pigeons I bought last September were a boy and a girl or what, but apparently I have one of each! Had our first two eggs and at least one appeared to be fertilized (circle apparent on yolk). I cracked them to check for that, and figured I’d fry them just so they weren’t wasted.

May be no surprise to those of you who know about such things, but I was very confused when the egg whites didn’t turn from transparent to white, like chicken eggs do. They just turned into gelatinous, clear, goop. I found this a bit disturbing, so I turned to uncle Google, and apparently people really LIKE how boiled pigeon eggs stay translucent. I don’t think it is for me, but it was fun to learn that this is actually what they are supposed to look like.
I've honestly never heard of eating pigeon eggs but glad you explained it so now I know. I don't think I'd want to eat those personally.

I was toying between someday raising quail or pigeons, in addition to the silkies. I'm still on the wagon about that though.

Yes, my goal is to keep them from making eggs- fake eggs in there now! I don’t like waste, but I’m the future I will probably just cook and feed the eggs back to the chickens. Might try steaming them once, since that seems to be what they do at the fancy restaurants where they are considered a delicacy.

They taste a LOT better than they look. Pretty similar to chicken eggs.

The translucence is a bit off putting for sure. I typically feed the eggs to the crows (hawk patrol) in my yard instead.

They taste a LOT better than they look. Pretty similar to chicken eggs.

The translucence is a bit off putting for sure. I typically feed the eggs to the crows (hawk patrol) in my yard instead.
I have read about the translucence, and have never been able to bring myself to try cooking one straight.

They are good to use if you are reducing a recipe and need a fraction of a chicken egg, but I generally feed them to one of my cats. They are the perfect size to add to a cat’s dinner.

Back
Top Bottom