Random light egg! I don’t know who laid it!

Creber96

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
Help. Lol. One of my girls laid a random blue-ish egg today.
These 5 hens I got as hand-me-downs. They came to us pretty tattered up and missing lots of feathers because of the rooster getting after them. 🪶
They weren’t laying much, (some weren’t laying at all) we suspected because of recent dog attacks at their original home and then one here at my place. The dog threat has since been eliminated. We then discovered 3 days ago that they had pretty severe mite infestation from their previous home. We now realize was also contributing to the lack of lay. We treated them last night with a permethrin bath and they’re clean today. (Another bath is on schedule to be sure the problem is for sure dealt with in accordance with the mite life cycle).
Anyhow… I thought they were all brown egg laying hens.
Apparently someone decided now that they’re mite free that today they’d lay… and I have no idea who laid it. But I’d like to identify who it might’ve been. 😂

The breeds I THOUGHT we had are an Australorp, buff Orpington, 2 wellsummer and speckled Sussex.
I’m beginning to suspect that one of the birds we thought was a wellsummer is not actually one. And looking at the two, they’re pretty different. Their combs and everything.

Any input would be awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpeg
    IMG_1535.jpeg
    701.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 12
Hmmm... well, it certainly is a pretty blue egg! Don't quote me, but I suspect your Easter Egger is (in bottom pic) either the first bird on the left, or the one cleverly disguised as a Black Aus. If I'm wrong, smarter folks than I will chime in! (I'm going by the combs.)

Hmmm... well, it certainly is a pretty blue egg! Don't quote me, but I suspect your Easter Egger is (in bottom pic) either the first bird on the left, or the one cleverly disguised as a Black Aus. If I'm wrong, smarter folks than I will chime in! (I'm going by the combs.)
The first bird on the left is the one In question for me, as well! lol. Maybe the aus is hiding out, tho. 👀 I’ve never seen her in a nesting box 👀

My guess is it's this one!
Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 4.58.29 PM.png

She's got a modified pea comb (one single comb gene and one pea comb gene) which means she's probably an Easter Egger. Also, your Buff Orpington is actually a Red Sex-link, aka Red Star, Production Red, and many other names.

My guess is it's this one!
View attachment 3798781
She's got a modified pea comb (one single comb gene and one pea comb gene) which means she's probably an Easter Egger. Also, your Buff Orpington is actually a Red Sex-link, aka Red Star, Production Red, and many other names.
:yesss:thank you, Abby, I feel vindicated! That was my first choice too. What about the black, is she a possibility too?

Back
Top Bottom