ChickenGirl2010

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Alright so I am going to be looking at having around 40 chickens by this fall. In the summer and until the grass dies pretty much the chickens are free ranging at least 4 hours a day in an 8 acre area and then in a 700 sq ft run every day its not below 20. Mind you I live in Kansas. They get a good deal of table scraps daily with their layer feed and corn. I know they should be eating around a 1/4 of food a day. In the summer at least I am trying to cut down on feed cost is there anyone that would know how much I should be feeding them in the summer grain wise or what I can cheaply supplement with in addition to their table scraps and free range foods. I would really appreciate the help.

Keep in mind that most chicken feed is formulated to be complete and the sole ration.
It is already composed primarily of grain.
Adding too much grain on top of that will really throw off the nutritional balance.
Free ranging that much space will help a lot but for nearly 4 months of the year, they won't get much sustenance from that. My flocks free range year round but they eat twice as much in winter as they do in summer.
I would start right away planting forbs and other good forage crops for them. Tender forbs are much better forage than grass.

My flocks free range year round but they eat twice as much in winter as they do in summer.

Exact same thing here, you'd be surprised what they can find, and if anything it helps keep their pen cleaner and the chickens healthier to go out.

My hubby cuts trees down for my goats to eat the leaves, then I lay the logs down, after a bit of laying on their side I roll them over. Even at 20 degrees there's still worms and bugs under them that the chickens will eat. I don't have 40 but every little bit can help. Just be sure to cut the wood or whatever to manageable pieces to move. Heck even my stepping stones have worms under them the chickens eat.

Alright so I am going to be looking at having around 40 chickens by this fall. In the summer and until the grass dies pretty much the chickens are free ranging at least 4 hours a day in an 8 acre area and then in a 700 sq ft run every day its not below 20. Mind you I live in Kansas. They get a good deal of table scraps daily with their layer feed and corn. I know they should be eating around a 1/4 of food a day. In the summer at least I am trying to cut down on feed cost is there anyone that would know how much I should be feeding them in the summer grain wise or what I can cheaply supplement with in addition to their table scraps and free range foods. I would really appreciate the help.
Why don't they have access to the 700sf run if it's below 20?

My flock has free choice Flock Raiser and separate oyster shell in their coop all year, and they free range whenever there's not snow cover. In mild weather, they eat less feed, and when there's nothing out there and it's cold, they eat more feed. I want them to have a balanced diet all the time, and in winter there's not much edible out there!
Mary

So sorry but I have to add this I LOVE your avatar! Sibs are just as addictive as fowl.

2016-05-28 17.41.26 - Copy (2).jpg

Ok back to chickens, this winter has been really mild and my chickens haven't been eating that much feed verses 3 yrs ago when we had a bad ice storm and it felt like Georgia was really Maine.

we had a bad ice storm and it felt like Georgia was really Maine.

Add several months of below zero temps, multiple ice and snow storms, nostrils freezing shut when you go outside, and your cheeks stinging when the air hits them, then, Georgia WILL feel like Maine!

@ChickenGirl2010, There is no need to limit your flock to being out in their run when temp gets down below 20. If you wrap the run in plastic, you'll be surprised at how much warmer the run will be, even when temp gets down to single digits.

As for your feed plans, I'd simply give them access to good free range, start planting your property to provide improved forage for them. Birds really benefit from deep mulch in run and on their range. They also benefit from having wide variation in their forage: Wooded, field, lawn, garden, deep mulch. Provide them with a good formulated feed (but remove it at night to discourage vermin) and they will eat what they need to to supplement their free range.

Why don't they have access to the 700sf run if it's below 20?
Because their tender little hinds of the chickens I currently have don't like to come out when its much below that. They have been getting better about it since I posted this though

Back
Top Bottom