Free Range chicks?

familyfarmer4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2017
I currently have our broody hen on 6 eggs that should be hatching this weekend. This will be our first time with hatching chicks. I was just wondering how successful others have been with letting their broody free range hen raise chicks the old fashioned way? I have everything I need to get chicks in a brooder box if necessary. I was just curious about what it would be like if she took them under her wing. What type of setup do you have for free range chicks and hens? I’d also love to hear from people who have raised chicks both ways and pros/cons.

Between my incubator and my broody hen, we ended up with 10 baby chicks almost 3 weeks ago. I put all the babies with mama hen in a large coop inside my garage. I live on a half acre lot in a tiny "village" in rural northeast Missouri. My entire flock (which consists of 6 other hens besides mama and a rooster) can "free range" on my lot during the day and I leave their coop/run open so they can return when desired. At 1 week old, I turned the baby chicks and mama hen loose to free range during the day and it has been quite successful. The mama protects the chicks from any perceived threats, and is busy all day showing the chicks how to be a chicken. It has been loads of fun watching her teach them how to do things like take a dust bath. I was worried they might get chilled because our temps haven't been very high the past week or 2, but they get close to mama or bask in the sun and haven't had any issue with getting too cold. She knows when it's "bedtime" and returns the chicks to the coop at the appropriate time. They've got a nice cozy coop with hay to bed down in and stay warm.

If you think about it, mama hens have been doing it the old fashioned way for a LONG time, and it's been successful. I'd save yourself the extra work and just let mama hen take care of the cuties.

I let my hen hatch her eggs in a brooder coop and let her adjust to them for a week, at around a week I open the coop door and let mama bring them out and she protects them, at around 3 weeks she stops “hovering” over them and they by now are mostly integrated into the flock. I have to do a head count once a day Incase a chick has gotten stuck somewhere. Most of those spots get covered up but I don’t know about them until something happens. I’ve done this twice now and it’s worked out very well.

And if mama hen rsises them, there won't be the integration issue. I really dislike integrating youngsters after brooding them myself. I hope to have mama hen brooded chicks next time, so am following your thread.
@TxToxDoc , I'd love to see pics of your hen and clicks!

I let my silkie hen hatch and raise her babies with the rest of my flock
She is very protective and teaches them all the essentials they need to know. My silkie roo is very protective of them too. I have done both ways and I prefer hen raising them

And if mama hen rsises them, there won't be the integration issue. I really dislike integrating youngsters after brooding them myself. I hope to have mama hen brooded chicks next time, so am following your thread.
@TxToxDoc , I'd love to see pics of your hen and clicks!
Happy to oblige- here is a picture of my mama hen and the chicks. She's keeping them warm in the first pic (and giving the twins a ride?) and showing them the ropes in the second :) You'll notice the rest of the flock from the big coop are just walking around, paying no particular attention to the chicks (although the rooster will usher them to safety in the big coop during the day if he thinks there is a threat), because the mama hen is doing the job of integrating them into the main flock.
IMG_1591.jpg
IMG_1589.jpg

Happy to oblige- here is a picture of my mama hen and the chicks. She's keeping them warm in the first pic (and giving the twins a ride?) and showing them the ropes in the second :) You'll notice the rest of the flock from the big coop are just walking around, paying no particular attention to the chicks (although the rooster will usher them to safety in the big coop during the day if he thinks there is a threat), because the mama hen is doing the job of integrating them into the main flock.
View attachment 1489437 View attachment 1489439
Oh nice!!! How sweet! I love it!!!!!

I can tell you my neighbors free range experience since they live in my yard 90% of the time. The mom/s usually has 10 or so chicks. Every few days she has one less. Usually one or two make it to puberty. Eventually the adults disappear. The neighbor will get down to one or two roosters and then gets more hens. Cycle starts again. We have hawks. The hen tries to hide them in the bushes and trees but doesn't do too well keeping them alive. They are game birds. One time a chick got in with my silkie and my silkie raised it in a pen. I still have her and she's a good mom. Anyway, if you want your birds to live a short, natural, healthy life, free ranging is good. If it's too painful losing them, keep them penned. Also depends on your predator population.

The only problem i have with free ranging mom and chicks early is making sure that the chicks are getting enough starter.
I feed layer crumble to my flock and the chicks can eat that but i think they need there starter for at least a two weeks. I could feed everybody starter but that can get pricy.
Also the big girls like the chick waterer for some reason and always end up tipping it over, or drinking it all. Then the chicks go without water or try to eat out of the large waterer which is not chick safe and they could drown in it.
So, that is why i have a separate pen and coop for mom and chicks until chicks are well established. I think those first couple weeks are special for hen and chicks.
maybe i am a little over protective but it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom