free range chicks

goldchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Can chicks/chickens be left to roam in a yard with only a hurricane fence not a wooden fence? Will they try to get away?

Not really a matter of will they get away but what will get THEM? They are open to air attacks from other birds and squirrels, chipmunks, etc. Best to keep them covered. Once they are big chickens the risk becomes less and even if they do leave the yard, eventually they will come home to roost as the sun sets.

Last edited:
Not really a matter of will they get away but what will get THEM? They are open to air attacks from other birds and squirrels, chipmunks, etc. Best to keep them covered. Once they are big chickens the risk becomes less and even if they do leave the yard, eventually they will come home to roost as the sun sets.

Squirrels and chipmunks will take chicks? I never knew this
idunno.gif

I had some quail for training my dog in a call back pen, and I found a dead quail in the pen with a big hole in his neck. The next day I found another with a partially eaten neck, but this time I found a chipmunk that couldn't find his way out this time. So yes chipmunks can kill so i assume squirrels will to.

Chicks alone? WIth no hen? Umm, they are not going to last long. Even a passing crow will grab one to name one of a bazillion possibilities. A brood of chicks with a free range hen at least get warned of danger and taught when and where to hide. Chicks alone have no defense at all. And yes, if they can fit through the openings they'll likely soon be on the other side of it.

Last edited:
big risk! My girls are 11 months old and I let them free range only when I'm in the yard with them. have a 6' foot fence around the property but I've witness skunks and groundhogs come from under them. A herd of 4 deer jump over the 6' foot fence to get to the other side (my family saw this with our own eyes) and the hawks are ever looking for food...protect your babies

Well ours are 9 weeks old now so they are big but anyway my husband wanted me to let them loose while he was bbqing the other day and I wasnt sure if i should let them out. Guess I know my answer now, I will tell him the bad news. lol

I have 3 acres and mine have freeranged since they were 8 weeks old. There is always the possibility of loosing some to predators, but as long as there are places for them to hide and shelter to run back to, I would let them out while you are out there watching. They will keep an eye out for hawks and such and run for the bushes if they see one.

Mine are 9 weeks old and have been free ranging for about 2 weeks. There are 10 of them and they stick together like a little pack - plus I have a dog that hangs around outside all day with them. Up until a few days ago, they stuck very close to each other and to the shaded areas...but now they are getting a little more adventuresome. I love being greeted by them when I drive in the driveway. They always come running!!
smile.png

I forgot to add that last Saturday, the chicks were hilarious. My husband was working on cleaning up some used wheels and tires that he bought so he could put them on his truck. Well, those chicks hovered around him, one Cochin kept pecking at his shirt. One of the White Leghorn hopped up on the tire he was working on and peered at him with one eye with a look like "What are you doing and WHY?" It really was funny and it was exactly why I wanted to have chickens. They are GREAT!!

Back
Top Bottom